Agnostic.com

7 10

"Flag of Treason" ad by the Lincoln Project

"The Confederate flag stands for racism, plain and simple," black waiters replied in a restaurant in Georgia.

I had asked if they were offended by the giant Confederate flag covering the restaurant wall, like it offends me.

LiterateHiker 9 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

love learning about the different points of view and i can certainly see the hate in it

Time moves on, and so should people. In 1865 the Confederacy was defeated and the Union was made whole again.
Prior to 1861 the 'Stars & Bars' didn't exist, but for four years it was the flag and the heart of what hoped to be a free (for some) sovereign nation comprising of a Confederacy of independent states who did not wish to be pushed around by others. Sounds noble, and to some extent it was. However, the world was changing and the British Empire and Europe had ridded themselves of human slavery and replaced it with capitalism and wage slavery. So to trade with the big powers America needed to wrest itself of the evil of slavery and follow the new normal.
With this in mind, the south decided to break away, after all who would compensate them for the loss of all that human labour and the resources in place to own them?
Well, Fort Sumter to Appomattox happened. As part of the reconciliation, many southern states were allowed to keep the battle flag of the Confederacy. America freshly reunited could not afford and civil war or even major local insurrections breaking out. The feelings in the south were still strong and they felt belligerent in defeat. The fault perhaps lays within the reconciliation, the Union should have shown them who had lost and carried out a reeducation of the people handing back control once a period of recovery had taken place - around one to two generations like with Germany following WWII.
The battle flag of the Confederacy is part of American history, but in the end it would be like the swastika being part of modern Germany's national flag together with the NAZI party.

I'm just going to some out and say it, tongue in cheek, but I'll say it AMEN! The support for that flag and what they claim it stands for as an excuse for what it actually stands for makes me sick even more than some aspects of religion. this is hate beyond anything I have ever experienced. I have been to the holocaust museum and a camp in Germany...If the Nazis would have seen that flag before the other symbolism they stole they would have used it because it represents the same kind of hate. to me the confederate flag is just a 'American' Nazi flag and the stars and bars is its Swastika

Rick and his buddies really know to turn the knife, don't they?

Great ad. He is a menace to all that America stands for.

I am a native southerner. My family included slaveowners on at least 3 sides of the family, an Confederate soldiers on at least 3 and probably 4 sides. Nevertheless, I repudiate everything that the Confederate flag stands for. I would like to see every damned one of these flags burned.

I always thought that southerners suffered so much because of the Confederacy and Civil War that no one should have greater disdain for the stars and bars. You're the first I've heard express anything of the sort.

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 June 1, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:501792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.