Agnostic.com

2 3

A Utopian Idealism

When one's own self evolves, deepens, becomes more whole, then one naturally begins to seek for that same depth and wholeness in one's relationships with others. As we awaken to higher states of consciousness, as we begin to see our own presence here in this unfolding process in a larger context, and especially as we awaken spiritually, there seems to be an idealism, what we could even call a utopian idealism, that is an inherent characteristic of the evolutionary impulse itself. It's an urge toward greater wholeness, greater fullness, and greater relatedness. Of course, we can't forget that some of the worst mistakes that have happened historically have been a result of this kind of idealism, but the drive toward utopia itself is part and parcel of the evolutionary impulse. I know I've felt that way from the very beginning of my teaching career. I actually think that this evolutionary impulse is part of the human experience at all levels, the minute we evolve beyond mere survival needs. It is part of what it's like to be deeply in touch with life and the creative drive in the universe, and I think it has really always been part of what's compelling humanity forward. Of course, it's led to a lot of wrong turns and catastrophic consequences at times; nevertheless, it's objectively important to realize that that's part of what drives us in our best moments.

—Andrew Cohen

Slava3 7 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think a FORM of Utopia is imminent.

First we must get past the current series of crises, unite as human beings worldwide, and apply our collective energy to not only overcome the present critically serious problems, but catapault ourselves to heights we cannot even imagine given present circumstances.

I very excited to see what the next 20 years bring. This is the most important 20 years in human history up to this point.

Thank you VERY much for this much-needed shot of optimism. Too often we dwell on the negative, and fail to see the new world order about to emerge.

I do not know how Cohen defines spirituality. No clue what kind of teacher he claims to be. I define spirituality as the union of science and feelings. Knowledge and intuitive desire. Skill and joy. Our species evolved long before the invention of religions. All of us are born Atheists Feminists. Woman nurturing life not ghosts of ignorance. Our species nurturing some cradle in our arms to our recycling graves. Utopia is natural. I guess Cohen is hinting at crusades pogroms and pilgrims murdering natives to build temples and shops. Every child that grows with open eyes to live harmonious exploring and negotiating with others has found spirit in stars love and work.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:502867
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.