Agnostic.com

30 4

Which is your favorite RUSH album? (Negative points for anything after Moving Pictures, just because I'm old, and a jerk)

I'm going back to Fly By Night. Lots of acoustic work.

CallMeDave 8 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You can never go wrong with anything by RUSH

Permanent Waves

The first one I ever bought was Hemispheres, so I will say that is my favorite

I loved them as a guitar playing teenager back in the 70's but they're hard to listen to now. If I had to pick one album I thought was my favorite it would be A Farewell To Kings.

Obscurity points

I had that one.. And isn’t it ..sad, the excess energy and rare moments it ‘now’ takes to put on their stuff? I love watching them on Youtube, though, interviews, awards, snippets of rock history… Here’s a favorite ..if I may ~

What is it that makes them a band that males identify with and women don't like as much. I have probably asked at least a hundred people about RUSH. Almost ever man definitely knows them. Almost every women either has no clue who they are or is like, yeah don't overly like them. After "I Love You Man" came out it seems that I wasn't the only one to think this.
I think I'm between Fly by Night and 2112, but I think 2112 just because it was the first album I was introduced with. Plus the numbers also significant for me, nothing to do with the band.

I grew up with Rush. They lived in the neighbourhood. They played our high school back in the day when bands actually did that kind of thing. In the beginning it was Geddy's voice that turned me off, but as his voice matured, and the songwriting and skill continued to grow, I became a fan. A bit of a reluctant one at first, listening with my son. As a musician myself though, the musicality, impeccable skills, and staggering body of work are undeniable. I have several 'favourites' a number of them are instrumental (Leave That Thing Alone is a fav) The instrumental stuff is staggering. Songs - so many - Secret Touch, The Garden, Spirit of the Radio, there's a ton. I still don't like the really early stuff and Fly By Night makes me jump to turn the station. I wish they were still touring. The best way to listen to them for me is to watch their live performances in the last decade or so. Masters of their craft still having a blast.

I've often wondered much the same. They have a few songs I like, but overall, I'm not much of a fan. I remember when I first heard of them, back in the 70s. Most of the boys I was in school with thought they were fabulous, and I can't remember any of the girls being remotely impressed. Same with KISS.

They were not a boy-band singing to girls.. They’re cerebral, and intense. Listened to Gene Simmons (of KISS) describe touring with RUSH. Something like an entire girls sports team sharing the same hotel floor ..roaming the halls half naked looking bored … and there’s RUSH, inside their room, writing letters home (to Canada) or reading 😀

My gf/ wife hated them.. My daughters’ can’t stand them, though adore (and have met) groups like Aerosmith and Cheap Trick. RUSH prided themselves on not doing love songs, and some of us ‘boys’ appreciated that…

PROG ROCK. It often sounds pretentious and angry.

My favorite band. I have all their albums and DVDs and have seen them twice in concert. Moving Pictures is my favorite, largely due to the 'first side' of Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ and Limelight. But as a prog rocker, a close second is Hemispheres, with my favorite track being La Villa Strangiato. Thanks for asking this question. A friend of mine and I, both huge Rush fans, were highly critical of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Rolling Stone (very much the same thing), who never understood Rush and their fan base, and finally had to concede this band's greatness in 2013! It appears they may finally be hanging it up.

One zillion drum rolls may be one man's limit.

Absolutely amazing in concert, one of the few bands that pulls off live.

I enthusiastically agree. Red Barchetta, YYZ, Lavilla Strangiato.
As a long time drummer, it should be obvious why I'm a big fan.
Fun fact; The intro to YYZ is repeated Morse code for YYZ, which is the airport code for Toronto.

I didn't miss a tour since 1982 - the "Tama Era" - for the drummers...

@Fulishsage And only 3 of them ..and some foot pedals 😉

@Mr_Wright Neil's not simply a drummer, but a percussionist, writer and poet. A true artist, he set the standard for so many to follow, including my second favorite drummer, Mike Portnoy.

Not a huge Fan, but had a friend who was an UBER fan. Owned a set of Ludwigs like the drummer whom he idolized in the 70's.
He turned me onto Rush with 2112
I do not know if that is before or after moving pictures, but just saying that makes me hear
"We are the priests
Of the Temples of Syrinx
Our great computers
Fill the hollowed halls"

Before, easily.
Bonus points for a concept lp

I’d long considered Freewill an Atheist Anthem 🙂
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill

@Varn For me that was the Who back in the Day
"I'm free
I'm free
And freedom tastes of reality"
Along with Tull Hymn #43, My God and others

Funny though, this is very similar to a conversatio I had then, with the guy who turned me onto 2112.
I did not consider myself "Atheist" then, I thought of myself as more heretic than Atheist, I still accepted the notion of some God or other as a teen, but not how I had learned religion had defined it or declared it to be. I had already been through the Bible twice and had serious issues with organized religions, but would spend another 6-7 years looking into world religions, mysticism and various woo before I ruled it all out as lacking foundational evidence and insteadusing emotions to convince and coerce believers into belief.

So hard to pick a favorite, but I default to the album that got me into them - Permanent Waves... Freewill = Agnostic anthem...

That being said, Clockwork Angels is up there... great swan song...

Signals. I don't care about the negative points. It is almost a tie with Roll The Bones, I love both of them. My regret is not seeing them in concert.

JK666 Level 7 Apr 5, 2018

I saw exit stage left tour and moving pictures. 82&83 I think

I’d missed some good concerts ..seemed if our boss knew we had tickets, he’d schedule a shift on that night (prick)… But once got 8th row front & center with RUSH - roving with my camera below the stage ..with Getty (Gary) smiling as he looked down with his bass. 38 Special (with dual drummers!) had opened, great concert..

I never thought of them as a band; always heard Geddy Lee alone. I have been following his career, listen to his interviews, and am sorry they are done. Also, my apologies to the other band members.

Ged is the MAN - I took my brother (who is not a follower) to a show. He came away a big Geddy fan...

Rush is one of the few bands that I actively disliked in their time. I've since come to at least appreciate them at some level, but I'm not a fan.

You're young; time exists.

Come over to the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Well, I stick to groups that take their time and don't rush their albums. But that's just me.

2112 It was my introduction to Rush.

Hemispheres, specifically 'The Trees'.

Hemispheres

Farewell to Kings

I love RUSH, but I don't have any albums (or CDs)
I'll probably get all the negative points for that comment. 😉

I do wish the radio stations would play a larger range of RUSH songs and not just the 'commercially popular' ones. (though that can be said for most artists and radio play.)

Okay, old jerk, 😉 2112 and Moving Pictures are great, but some of my favorite songs are not from those albums. Any good atheist should appreciate first and foremost, Roll the Bones (the song, not the album). Because I Can't find a better overall studio album than Moving Pictures, and because Rush has had incredible longevity, just to earn negative points and because you didn't specify "studio" albums only, I am going to pick 2003's "Rush in Rio," a 3 disco tour concert album that is awesome--especially if you watch the DVD. Second will be Presto (yes, you can accuse it of pandering to commercial demands, but it takes me back to my last months of college, when I saw them on their Presto tour. Honestly, though, I rarely listen to their studio albums anymore, because I made my own compilations.

The version of YYZ that they did in Rio, where the crowd sings the melody line, was insane. I wish I had crowds like that when I play out.

2112, fly by night

Love Fly By Night 😉

RUSH.
1st on my list of 10 performers that are NO PLAY
He has a list of 10 also.

Let's have the whole list

I wasn't going to comment, but I always like to score negative points when I can...hehe...and I always appreciate a jerk...most of my best friends are jerks...here it goes: Rush is the brittany spears of it's time....they did one good song....Take Off...but only because I appreciate hosers. And again, I would have passed by the message if it wasn't for the 'jerk' and 'negative points' part...it was like a siren call...to another jerk...hehe.

I can't remember-my ex took the CD when he left. Love Rush though.

Oh that's low.

I usually go through phases, but right now I'm digging the first album. I love the Over The Top guitar rock that came out in 73-75: Scorpions, Judas Priest, Rush, UFO, lots of Krautrock... I'm not a huge fan, though this post may imply otherwise. I think it's impressive their career can be divided up in 3 album segments. At least the first 9, so I usually go through phases of listening to 'em grouped like that.... but, again, currently diggin' the first.

MikaB Level 5 Apr 5, 2018

Forgot to mention, Geddy didn't learn to sing properly until later in his career(he seemed to have inhaled a touch of helium/chipmunk juice in those early albums). And Niel has always been great, but he got better and better with age. Alex, hard to tell.

gonna have to prove that one wrong, MIBR.

Only Rush I own is on vinyl. Farewell to Kings I think but never been a fan mostly because the lead singer hurts my ears

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50468
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.