Agnostic.com

4 3

(Pete Linforth/Pixabay)
PHYSICS

Physicists Have Reversed Time on The Smallest Scale Using a Quantum Computer
MIKE MCRAE
12 JUNE 2020

It's easy to take time's arrow for granted - but the gears of physics actually work just as smoothly in reverse. Maybe that time machine is possible after all?

[sciencealert.com]quantum-computer/amp

t1nick 8 June 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been reading several books on Quantum Mechanics - actually Quantum Field Theory and I think I am getting the idea that time is actually multidimensional at the level of the quantum. There is of course the time line we live, the movement of time through the positive line of time. There is also at the same instant a line of time that is negative. These two meet at a point called the "Now" (my term).
Antimatter is a form of matter that traverses the negative time line. Thus when positive matter and negative antimatter occupy the same place and the same instant they disintegrate into energy. This point of the "Now" can have other protrusions in the time line that can loop "sideways" out into a positive sideways or negative sideways path which would allow the ability of a quantum computer to process much more information than normal circuits.
This however, in my opinion, does not allow for time travel. Here is why. The "Now" that we experience is made of its positive and negative as well as any side movements that compose that "Now". In order to get back to a particular event that has happened in the past one would have to maneuver through the flow of time back to the place where all the positive and negative events were exactly the same as when the event happened. The time line may be different in actuality than the one wished to get to. The Quantum State of the World at the time one would like to visit might look the same on its real time line but actually be a different time line reached.
There is also the problem with locality. Any point on this planet changes as the planet revolves, rotated around the sun, as the sun traverses the Galaxy and as this galaxy traverses the local group of Galaxies. Thus if one gets in the time machine and a field is created that allows for the machine to enter time, the machine would leave the place it was and go (Where). Either the machine would somehow be fixed at the point on the planet as that point moves through time (as in the movie), or the machine would stay fixed in time and the space-time of the actual point at the time of being activated. This would mean that the person who is sitting in the machine would see himself quickly move from this planet to be hovering at that point in its relation to the whole Universe never to return to the place it left, unless it went back to that exact time it left the original point of departure. Until this problem becomes understood there is no time travel that is useful.
I have been trying to think of a way one could see this "Now" if they were the size that would allow them to observe it. What I come up with is a collection of at least three coffee cups, the big cylindrical kinds. Imagine taking a wood dowel and take the dowel and a coffee cup and run the dowel through the coffee cup going past the lip before hitting the bottom. Next one takes another cup and does this three times, than another with the last cup turned opposite the first. So the open end of the cups aligns with what we would call the positive time line, time goes into the first cup and through the bottom. Now imagine all these cups taking up the space of one. Time would go into the front of the first cup, it could traverse through one or two or three of the handles and then exit the last cup. The center of this mass of cups is the point of the "Now".
Oh, also one has to remember that all this s taking place at the level of the Planck, a space so small one cannot imagine a place smaller that could exist.
Thoughts.

I hope not.... I’m so fricken sick of time travel being used as a lazy plot I never want to hear about it again.

Interesting

bobwjr Level 10 June 12, 2020

Interesting but hard to understand.

I concur. Had to read some sections twice myself

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505324
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.