Agnostic.com

30 11

What does it take to quiet your mind?

Is it easy for you to just sit quietly?

I've often thought I was pretty good at slowing down, but this week has been beautifully peaceful, and I'm realizing the difference. My real life is rather noisy in comparison to a week near an ocean. The first day I sat for three hours, waiting for the sunset, watching surfers, on a mostly empty beach. I can't remember the last time my mind was so quiet. 🙂 That has set the amazing tone for my week, I hope it comes home with me.

Stacey48 8 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a writer, my mind doesn't go quiet until a "The End."

Gohan Level 7 Apr 5, 2018

Bob Ross

Hiking in the woods alone. That is the ideal thing to calm my mind.

My peeps in the old country send me videos of the edge of the ocean with the tide coming in or going out.just about every week. I watch it over and over until my breathing stills and my heart stops racing.

@Stacey48 Yes, I just wish I could smell the sea air.

Well, the short answer is “alcohol.”
The longer answer is, “Vodka, Tequila, Rum, Gin,” and a splash of soda.

Camomile and honey tea, a fun movie and the company of my family (including my two dogs)

Works every time

sleep

Camping out in the woods. A rainy day in the summer time. Pretty much anything that has to do with nature on some level.

A week by the beach sounds like just what the doctor ordered!

Which ocean/beach are you visiting? I'll be right over! =]

@Stacey48 Ah, awesome. Love SD. Are you continuing on north?

@Stacey48 Aw, c'mon. There's nothing like a leisurely drive through the Grapevine to sustain that beach frame of mind. LOL!

Retired, when I wake up, my mind is very relaxed and quiet knowing I am in full command of my schedule and agenda.. then a thump on my bedroom door if I committed the mistake of not letting it open... Bella (my fat jailer) steps in demanding attention before Cindy (the alpha female) barks not believing the scene in front of her, Mia (the spoiled little blonde brat) starts her lazy strut. My schedule is full and ruined, no more quiet brain or relaxed mind. CHIHUAHUAS! ...and they are not even mine!

@Stacey48 Yep... they adopted me to the delight of my sister.

That would quiet my mind. Its constantly racing.

Do you practice mindfulness meditation?

no-have trouble focusing. was on medication until heart failure.

Sex or Martinis..

@Stacey48 though both would be awesome!

Mindfulness and living in present moment.

I wish I knew. My mind talks to me more than I can stand sometimes.

Sleeping seems too

Thats a Beautiful picture!, sometimes reading quiets my mind

It is a skill l don't and have never had. Wish l did. Unconsciousness is it, and l don't want to take that much of those kinds of drugs. Although occasionally it is nice to do so.🙂

Sleeping pills

I am a crafter so my mind is quietened by certain work such as working with yarns spinning weaving etc they are mostly rhythmic and i find that a comfort .I also garden a lot and find the sun on my face and the outdoor work very inspiring and again rhythmic - so although I am not a dancer I find that I move in a way that feels healing that I use my body and hand tools to come together. My greatest inspirations for artworks come from being outdoors - It feeds me and hte quietude helps me balance myself - (This is all sounding very esoteric for a cockney girl from ('Sarf Lunnon '😉

Xanax.

..........but being out on or by the water works best for me.

If I sit quietly I fall asleep. So I have to find my figurative zen while being active. I find weightlifting calms my mind. I think it's the counting and the fact that it's my body doing the work, not my brain.

Looking up at the stars. Fortunately I have little light pollution where I am so my view of the milky way can be quite good. It doesn't really quiet my mind more just focuses it on one thing, everything. Looking at the stars is looking at more than anything on earth. The beach is okay but the cosmic ocean is my peace and quiet.

The ocean can’t be beat! After I retired I accidentally discovered why monastics do what they do (and don’t do) and why monasteries are always in peaceful rural settings —— the chaos of city life and business responsibilities, and relationships with haggard people all drain the ‘peace’ right out of you. Mental disciplines aren’t the only contributors to a quiet mind. Your surroundings can contribute a lot.

skado Level 9 Apr 5, 2018

Going to my safe place.

@Stacey48 Mindset, nobody knows what it is or where it is , nobody or thing can get it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.