Agnostic.com

3 3

"There IS NO place for nor is there Superstition in Religion." - Paul Skelley, Leader, Minister and Prophet of the Far-western N.S.W. Chapel of Christian Evangelists, his words, not mine btw, ( self -appointed being factually and my words) during a conversation with me yesterday evening.
I thought I might post this quotation for members to read and discuss, etc, since it was profoundly stated.
My response to it was to say simply and clearly, " But is not the entire thing you call religion merely built solely upon the superstitious belief that some, unknown, unseen unproven Supreme, Non-Corporeal Entity dwelling beyond all things real, tangible, etc, etc, in total and absolute control over everything and anything merely nothing more than a totally unfounded superstitious assumption at best?"
This Paul Skelley is also the self-same person to whom I personally refer to as being 'Pope Paul' somewhat sarcastically btw.

Triphid 9 June 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Burning Bushes,anyone?

So, what does he think religion is, or is based on? Evidence? Science? Facts? Real History?

Oh, and as side note here.
This IS the same Paul Skelley who offered 'mate's rates' hands on treatment for my Evangellon neighbour, a member of his 'flock' who was afflicted with the Moron A virus a while back.
The 'mate's rates' 'Pope Paul quoted to the Evangeloon were $100 per seesion for 5 sessions btw.
Some 'mate's rates' hey?

I don’t find anything about him online, but I can see a way in which he is right about that particular point. Whether he meant it as I see it is another question. But I think there is a popular misunderstanding about superstition’s role in religion. It’s there of course, as popularly practiced, but I don’t think that’s what authentic religion is about.

skado Level 9 June 18, 2020

I'd be fascinated by your definition of superstition vs "authentic" religion

@Cyklone
It depends, of course, on whether you define religion as it is popularly practiced (not an unreasonable way to define it) or you pay more attention to the evolutionary roots of religion. Being a science oriented person, I tend to see all human (all life) behavior in terms of evolution.

In the evolutionary framework, the substantive heart of religion appears to me to be a cultural counterbalance to the evolutionary mismatch caused by the invention of agriculture and the subsequent development of civilization.

We are hunter-gathering, nomadic animals by nature. In order to live stationary lives in large populations of strangers, we must redirect some of our animal instincts. So, in my definition, whether institutionalized or individualized, sacred or mundane, when we resist our animal instincts in order to accommodate civilization, we are practicing authentic religion. The heart of religion is practice, not belief.

Biologically speaking, superstition is nearly the diametric opposite of religion. Superstition is more a part of our animal nature. And when acting in groups, our animal nature often overpowers our β€œhuman” veneer. So our superstitious nature reclaims many if not most of our institutions - church, state, business, law, education, etc.

Authentic religion is a practice that resists, or counterbalances certain of our animal instincts, including our propensity for superstition, in order to maintain the order and functionality of civilization.

@skado ok, from that point of view, I get it. πŸ™‚

@skado I think you WILL find that at least 99% of ALL religions grew from the a singular point and time way way back when our earliest ancestors had absolutely no concept of the machinations of the natural world, etc, other than the migratory patterns of the prey that hunted.
A prime example may be this, A clan of of early humans is assembled and dining on the latest prey they've caught, the Alpha leader gets the choicest of the meat,the rest gets shared out amongst the rest of the clan.
1 clan member, perhaps a little smarter than rest, see an opportunity to rise above the others and even, with luck, be on an equal par with the Alpha.
In the distance a storm rolls in, lightning flashes, thunder roars, things shake noticably and everyone shows signs of fear, he sees that the storm is very distant from them and moving away from where they are so he steps up, mumbles incoherently, makes gestures, offers some of his food towards the storm and shouts loudly, " Take this Oh Great Spirit of the Skies and Storms if you wish but leave my people alone and in peace, I will speak for you, I will have my people worship you through me if you will do this."
The storm slowly abates and moves off, as they naturally have always done, and his clam members sudddenly begin to notice even more, listen to him, obey his instructions/directions and NOW he is on a par with the Alpha Leader and can expect the choicest of cuts at every meal, demand, in the name of the Great Sky Spirit, whatever 'dedications, etc, he sees fit to demand without question SINCE he and He alone can obviously speak to and with the Great Sky Spirit.
Hence, from that simple act of instilling into his clan members the superstition of there being a Great Sky Spirit comes the religion that will live and grow amongst his people and those who come along after them.
So it was with ALL of the earliest civilisations, the unknown explained merely as Supreme Entities causing purely natural events, etc, etc, needing, by the gulie of one or more members of the community, appeasement in mystical words muttered and mumbled, offerings and dedications aplenty and absolute obedience to the wills and words of those who claim to be able to speak with, hear and interpret the will and words of these totally invented Gods/Goddesses/Sky Spirits/ Spirits/Gods, etc, of the earth, volcanoes,earthquakes, etc, etc.
Then, some 3,000+ years ago, along comes an Egyptian King name Amenhotep IV ( Akhenaton) who realises that he is ONLY getting a portion of the goods, wealth, etc, that are made as votive offerings to the myriad of Gods and Temples, decides to change allof it, declares himself to be, not only, the Living reprentative of the one true God, the sun disc Aton, but reduces greatly the influences of ALL the other Gods and Temples, garners for himself the Lions share of votive offerings, etc, but also creates the first example of Monotheism which later the Hebrews slowly adopt and adapt until they produce root version of Judaism, Christianity and Islam as well.
And ALL grown from that single seed of superstition and superstitious belief sown countless centuries before by one, lone, ambitious early human.

Btw, you most likely won't find anything about 'Pope' Paul Skelley on line or anywhere else on the 'Net' since he once 'informed' me "that the 'Net,' computers/Iphones, etc,are the tools of the Devil, the enable the Heathens/Pagans and the Unbelieving Scum to communicate freely amognst themselves and spread their evil," and yet he, himself, is NEVER seen anywhere without his Mobile (Cell) Phone.

@Triphid
Imaginative.

@skado Perhaps to the layman, but more than likely a possiblity and factual scenario given the great varieties of religious beliefs that have 'plgued' humanity since the earliest of times though.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:507094
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.