Agnostic.com

7 0

How can atheists be optimistic or pessimistic? What will be will be. Why do atheists have egos? Nihilism is the default. How do atheists get loaded up with nostalgia so great that they defend the indefensible?

I used to fluctuate between optimism and pessimism. I used to consume the counter culture. I used to be an absurdist. Where do you fall on the fantastic thoughts scale?

Fred_Snerd 8 June 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

None of this has anything to do with being an atheist
Don't believe in god(s) you're an atheist end of discussion

Anything else you may or may not believe in is up to your own choice or taste and is irrelevant to your professed atheism.

Definate maybe, I once told someone, is optimistic uncertainty. Sounded good at least, perhaps something good would come of it.

Word Level 8 June 19, 2020

I'm mostly a pessimist but that has nothing at all to do with my atheism. I was pessimistic (though I somewhat prefer the term realist) long before I became an atheist. I'm a pessimist because that's my personality.

Nihilism is only the default of someone who is a blank slate (such as an infant or small child). We learn morality as we grow and develop mentally. Why would I be nihilistic?

No clue what you mean about nostalgia and defending the indefensible. You'll need to elaborate on that.

I really have no idea what is considered "counter culture" these days. These days there's a club or movement or lifestyle for just about everything (and I don't necessarily mean anything bad about that). Eventually most everything that is "alternative" becomes mainstream or irrelevant.

It has long been a common assumption that there's something bad in your future, and there is. Illness, accident, heartbreak, tragedy, natural disaster. Something bad is bound to happen, and most of us assume that.

But there's just as good a chance that something good is in your future. It's just as likely as something bad.

Life is a mixture of good and bad. So, I expect some of both.

How can religious people be anything but pessimistic? Gawd knows your every dirty secret(s), you are DOOMED!

What the hell are you talking about?

@Fred_Snerd I guess by 'there' you mean lost in hyperbole.

I reckon if it just don't matter, it just don't matter. so do what you like, deal with your consequences.

@Fred_Snerd sure nuff. you can drive yourself crazy with that stuff.

@Fred_Snerd ice cream ain't bad, but there are others. ðŸĪŠ

@Fred_Snerd lol... it can lead to a lot more than that...😋

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:507368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.