Agnostic.com

35 1

If Jesus came back today, what would you do?

I'd slap the hell out of him for all the errors and contradictions in the bible lol!!!

EmeraldJewel 7 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't believe jeebus as a single real person ever existed.

I would likely think I was having a psychotic episode and would seek help.

Not sure what I would do, but Donald Trump wants to build a wall to keep Jesus from crossing the Rio Grande.

Ruadh Level 3 Nov 26, 2017

Allegedly he has come back...... several times. At least I've read several articles of people claiming to be Jesus Christ.

not to mention all the toasts he's appeared on!

Nor the times in the moment of orgasmic release, we yell out "Oh Jesus".

Tell him where my lawn mower is.

Aw! I bet you say that to all the guys. 😉

I would be scared shitless tbh because it would mean that my next stop should be at a psychologist's office to check out when the flashbacks are gonna stop then lol.
If I were to meet Jesus I would have to start believing in reincarnation or that he is the son of God or that this Jesus is an imposter ??
Actually I did meet Jesus , Krishner and Buddah around 30 years ago but I just thought wow! That acid was the bomb.
Because I'm a clever bastard I worked out that the dead.people I thought I was talking to were a bit too conveniently close to the cultural constructs I had of them and so was quite dismissive, Krishner asked me to marry him, of course, I said no and the Buddah ? The Buddah snowed me a beautiful palace with cupolas and stone walls around and a lovely sunset behind it and just when I thought that I had found some kind of paradise , the Buddah laughed and disappeared and so did the lovely vision.
it took years for me to absorb this massive trip and I could easily have walked off the edge and ended up with lifelong psychosis (certainly not everyone should take LSD, not everyone can handle it and I saw people who never really made it back.
Luckily I had a very good education behind me courtesy of the British army as my dad was a soldier based abroad. So I had plenty of mental resources to entertain myself with during the period of psychosis which lasted several months.
So I was able to substitute dead authors I liked for the religious bods and spent the rest of the time talking to Freud, Jung, Nietzsche, Hermann Hesse.
I've got a degree in Russian and German so I had a wealth of dead authors to speak to.
I was able to talk myself round gradually and expel each voice through meditation and logic.

But I could easily have fallen off the edge into a religious mania at that point. The reason I did not was due to my extremely good European education.
There is a lot to be said for zen meditation practice for calming the mind.
I might easily have ended up psychotic or dead at that point. I didn't because we have universal single payer health care and I got my rent paid and money for food. My mates sorted out the paperwork as I was too sick.
If I had been in the US I would be dead. I've got no family and had just graduated. I had a job just before this but I was putting on illegal raves with friends every weekend and taking psychedelics.
In your country, with no family, I would have ended up on the street with no medical care.
This was all a very long time ago but it showed me just how fallible the human mind can be.
It was like my mind had fractured and was filled with voices and my own inner voice was drowned out.
I went through some extreme paranoid fantasies about the KGB and the CIA both trying to remotely control me. Another friend of mine took a dive and ended up in a psychiatric hospital for the next year but that didn't happen to me because my vast store of reading gave me the intellectual tools to dig myself out.
He didn't have that and ended up dying a couple of years later.
I didn't mean to tell you all so much of a personal nature but I am fine now, this was years ago and I want to share with you this deep experience because I was fooled into thinking that I was talking to various religious figures throughout this time and I could easily be here telling you now that I had really seen Jesus and that God must be real , but I spoke to hundreds of dead poets over that 6 months or so and afterwards I realised that they were all me.
All these people talking to me in my head were my own inventions and merely an extrapolation from what I had heard or read.
My family were not religious and we never went to a church, I wasn't even Christianed but growing up all over the world I had had a liberal education and I was always a voracious reader so I had a lot of material to entertain myself with.
I pulled myself out eventually with the help of a handful of good mates who let me a room in their house and made sure nobody took advantage of me.
Then I did a stupid thing and volunteered to work as an education officer for the charity Oxfam. It was during the first Rwanda crisis and the carnage was terrible. I also became involved with a man who I still know today though we are not together but I nearly went down again because I couldn't cope with the way that the NGO charity model was being run.
But that's another story for another day.

My point is that had I had a religious family and this had happened to me the final outcome would have been different.
And that's especially true had I had a restricted education in other respects. My mental resources would have been different and probably more limited. The people around me would no doubt have interpreted these experiences as religious experience

It was drug psychosis. I worked through it over time.
We are constantly telling ourselves and others stories about how the world is. In a less sophisticated pre Enlightenment world my experience might well be attributed to God or even the devil or perhaps I should have been burned as a witch or maybe psychedelics were taken as ritual and such experience would be guided by the shaman.

This showed me that we are constantly engaged in telling ourselves stories about what the world is like. It is only a sideways step for anyone into insanity.
It's an existentialist threat to imagine that you can be mind read or read others' minds. You feel spied upon and the fundamental privacy is disrupted. You no longer feel safe inside your own head.

The idea that there would be a God type entity spying on your every thought from inside your own head takes away the fundamental privacy and ende in insanity
That's how it began. I thought I could read minds on LSD, the next logical step is that others can read your mind and then you don't feel safe in your own brain.
If people think that a God or Jesus or priest is able to see their inner most thoughts then they either surrender to that and do their best to behave from then on and let the priest , the good book or God control them.
They are told they are always visible to this God and they regulate their behaviour accordingly. Otherwise they don't live up to the rules and live in a constant state of abject fear for failing.
It's a clever way to get people to regulate their behaviour according to the rules they have been given. They think there is always a witness.
So the priest or king does not have to be present for the rules to be followed .
But Jesus is a fiction , an amalgamation of many people into a fictional character written down by church elders.
The Jesus I met was an amalgamation of the Jesuses I had been indoctrinated into seeing. I never spoke to Freud or Hesse but to characters my clever monkey brain had invented from the reading I had done because I was alone and afraid . Clever me!!

Punch him in the f... er... ask to speak to the management about... no wait. I think I'd just go check myself into a loony bin and try to explain how I came to be convinced that what I perceived I had experienced, necessarily equated to empirical evidence of the return of the Christian messiah.

Lol priceless comment! Glad to know I'm not the only one who would get physical. Ha ha ha!

Do you prerfer red or white ?

ask him in for a cup of tea and a blether about how he's going to fix this world.

Tell him to mow my lawn

I’d be really surprised, and then I’d ask him how he felt about having such a megalomaniac for a father.

LMFAO!!!

I don't speculate on impossibilities.

I'd nail that sweet bastard so hard he's gonna feel the rapture begin

Joden Level 2 Nov 24, 2017

Nail em up I say!! Nail some sense into em!!

Send him back to Mexico and build a wall real quick.

See if he wanted to grab a couple of beers.

Ahhh, a civilised response.

Ask him if he wanted his father charged with child Abuse, or at least neglect.

Tell him how sorry I feel for him for all the atrocities committed in his name...and then offer him a decent Irish whiskey.

Wouldn't he (notice I didn't say 'He'😉 have had to be here in the first place in order to return🙂

Punch him in the face!

Not a realistic possibility.

I want to know why he ever left, why he took so long to come back, why has he let all the religions teach about him in ways that clouded his existence with crazy facts, and on and on. I’d have lots and lots of questions!!

I would say: "Jesus, I tried to be the best person I knew how, and if you don't know that then you aren't all knowing."

I'd say, "Jesus Christ what took you so long" or maybe. "What gives with the Christmas holiday"?

Let's expand the question in different directions just for funzies.

If Muhammad came back, what would you do?

If the Buddha came back, what would you do?

If Brahma/Vishmu/Shiva appeared, what would you do?

I'd ask every single one of them why didn't they let themselves be known, like talk through the sky where the world could hear their voice, instead of it all being based on faith, and having the world argue over which God was correct.

Ask him to mow my lawn?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5078
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.