Agnostic.com

4 0

Alternative lifestyles should all get equal protection?

As to alternative life styles as copied from wikipedia: Some use LGBT+ to mean "LGBT and related communities".[13] LGBTQIA is sometimes used and adds "queer, intersex, and asexual" to the basic term.[47] Other variants may have a "U" for "unsure"; a "C" for "curious"; another "T" for "transvestite"; a "TS", or "2" for "two-spirit" persons; or an "SA" for "straight allies".

I would ask for people like me: could "fat" be added to the list of alternative life styles?

This way, for those things that are done to address discrimination for alt. Lifestyles fat people could be included in those protections.

LGBTQIAF?

• 0 votes
  • 4 votes
Word 8 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sexual orientation is different than body related stuff. So, if you are obese, you can be disabled but (dis)ability and sexual orientation are distinct categories for a reason. Whereas weight gain MAY be a lifestyle choice, other times it is caused by health complications/problems and is thus a health/ability issue, sexual orientation is never a choice. Why? Because sexual orientation is related to who you are ATTRACTED to, not who you have sex with. A straight virgin is still straight, a gay virgin is still gay and a bisexual virgin is still bisexual. What one does with one's sexuality is another topic altogether.

This is a really good question. As one who understands humans do not have free will, being fat, whether a result of genetics, gluttony, disability, medication, ailment, or combination thereof, is essentially no different than any of the other categories that you mentioned. I have not answered your poll yet, because I'm unsure what the protections you are seeking are for fat people. I mean, the aim of the equal protection law already covers fat people, so what would you like added?

You ask"...aim of the equal protection law already covers fat people, so what would you like added?"

In general use," LGBT" is what I see as most common, adding the "F" so that common usage would be something like "FGLBT".

Further to address for clarification, if a scenario of a fat person were to oppose the alternative lifestyle people or cause of "LGBT" , by adding the "F" would then give for a reason that a fat person couldn't logically oppose '"FGLBT" because they are in that alternative category.

@Word That makes no sense, of course they could still oppose equal rights for the other included groups because presently, the equal protection laws aren't needed to protect fat people. That's like saying the nineteenth amendment shouldn't have been opposed by any men because it included verbiage in it that prevented men being denied the right to vote based on their gender. They already had the right to vote, so adding them to the law doesn't functionally change anything for them.

Why is it any of your or anybody else's business what any other PEOPLE are doing? Of Course they (should) Have equal rights, and would except for self-nominated " judges"!!!!????

Would you include those folks in that condition exclusively because of their own gluttony ?

Is gluttony the sole reason for obesity?

@Word No, I did NOT say that. I asked you if you would include that group of obese folks who became obese strictly by their own gluttony.

@FearlessFly it would seem to me obese is obese no matter how one arrives. So, why exclude or only allow for any specific reason for getting there?

@Word My question explores the gluttony choice -- a distinct difference from genetics.

There are folks who claim LBGT is a CHOICE. Is your 'poll' question based on a premise that these "alternative lifestyles" are choices ?

@FearlessFly how is choice not connected to genetic configuration of the brain to decide how to make choices?

@Word I will leave the 'nature vs. nurture' and/or 'free will' debate(s) to others.

@Word remember Jerry Lewis, slender all his life,had to start taking heavy doses 9f prednisone, blew up like a balloon, about 250.....lots of conditions can cause it. I was not slender,but okay, thenhad to have the same knee replaced twice within 3 months, now have limited mobility. Put on 45 lbs & there it stays......

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:507987
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.