Agnostic.com

4 1

The universe, for our practical purposes, is infinite, but religious texts don't explain what it is or how it got here. How was that NOT a red flag at a very young age to everyone? To me, at like 11 or 12, it was pretty good evidence the authors were just under-informed humans. Thank god for Sunday Baseball and Bears games or I may have been churched away from practical thinking. Have a good weekend, fellow humans.

KevinMR 7 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Didn't some god ‘make the heavens and the earth’ 😀 I’ve corn-fed cousins in IL - if you’ve escaped religion ...in that braindead wasteland ..you deserve, not only to escape, but at least my congratulations!

Varn Level 8 June 27, 2020

Yep, the heavens and the earth. A little vague huh? Especially when heaven sounds more cloud like and there's a LOT more beyond them clouds!
No I'm a Chicago suburban dude.

why does it have to have a beginning? this is an assumption based only upon the fact that we experience reality in a linear time fashion. but in quantum reality there are potentials that are their own source. meaning the effect came before the cause. we think "well that shouldnt be able to happen" so we define the universe in presumptive terms based on that limitation. But quantum reality shows us time is a construct just to satisfy our perceptions. Cause and effect actually wrap around one another as time is not real. Perhaps the universe just is?

It doesn't have to. I realize all that. I'm just saying something as big as the universe should have at least had a blurb about it if a god was supposedly talking to us back in the day. Red flag the bible and koran are man made BS.

@KevinMR Read the Upanishads. The ancient Hindus at least addressed the situation.

Since you’ve determined that the Bible doesn’t hold any answers it’s time to look other places.

@WilliamFleming yeah, what Bill said!

Nobody knows what it is or how it got here.

I know that, but I would expect their god to know and he didn't explain.

to assume it "got" somewhere would be to say there was something other than the universe and then it appeared. there is nothing else. it is the base. it just is and always has been. it has expansions and contractions IAW this huge model, but it just IS.

Newton described gravity fairly well (and actually wrong), but he conceded that he didn't know what it WAS. 😮

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:509870
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.