Agnostic.com

20 3

Was there a movie or book that helped you question religion?

Admin 8 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Bible itself made me question religion.

Yes...the bible.

The first was "Illusions" by Richard Bach. Later in life it was "The Varieties of Religious Experiences by William James. Carl Sagan's lectures compiled in "The Varieties of Scientific Experiences" came later and lately E.O. Wilson's "The Meaning of Human Existence."

I remember sitting in school when I was in the 6th grade...? I was reading about other ppls religion in the world. Taoists seemed so peaceful.. . I think that same day was when I learned of the world chaos... and what it truly means. At least what it means for me.

I called myself an agnostic for years because I didn't feel comfortable calling myself an atheist, just in case someone came up with a proof of a god. I think after I read "Pale Blue Dot" by Carl Sagan, I was convinced enough to pronounce myself an atheist.

Absolutely. This single argument was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

The Hero's Journey by Joseph Campbell. Also books by Carl Sagan. And, I was greatly affected by a National Geographic TV special in the late 1960's about Leaky's discovery of human ancestors in Africa.

I like the 'Ancient Aliens' show on TV. If ET's did visit earth long ago, they would have appeared to be gods to our ancestors whenever they demonstrated their advanced technology devices, flying machines, weapons etc.

In 1986 I bought an issue of OMNI magazine. In the letters to the editor section, there was a letter about alternative medicine, or something, I don't remember. The editor responded with skepticism. It made me think that I should be more skeptical about things and ,wouldn't ya know it, I had just started reading the old testament before that. I was an atheist before I finished Deuteronomy.

Amazing where our skepticism leads us. Welcome to agnostic.com

No book or movie, it was the comedy of George Carlin.

Very popular choice

coran and sunna themselves

I think you’re the first to note Quran or Sunnah. Welcome to agnostic.com

they are full of anger 🙂 so thank you

No not really. I also was not exposed to god until about the age of 7 in any real way. My grandmother put me in a sunday school class at 7, and they read a few stories from the bible the first day. I remember thinking these people are freaking crazy. I complained to my dad his mother was forcing me to go to sunday school and never had to go again. I remained uninvolved in religion until about 22. I was openly atheist but I never went out of my way to shove my views in other peoples faces, that is until my buddies family starting shoving their Christion crazy in my face. I decided then to educated myself on religion and all its crazy. So the first book I read was the bible, that was a joke. Then some other book about The reason god is real. No joke the first line in the book is all I read. It said "God is real, because god is real" I closed the book, and started reading the counter argument, YouTube debates so on so forth. If I was going to argue with people I would be informed. Been vary vocal about my Atheist beliefs ever sense.

So your Dad “saved” you...lol

Yeah. It is a book actually. It is God Delusion.

Kero Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

Nice. The God Delusion can now be seen on youtube. Welcome to agnostic.com

"Bulfinch's Mythology" started it. Many since have helped give my disbelief shape and substance. "The End of Faith,""God Is Not Great," "The Portable Atheist," "The God Delusion," "Breaking the Spell," "God: The Failed Hypothesis," "Infidel," "The Plague" all come to mind. Movies like "Religulous" and the BBC's "The Root of All Evil" and "The History of Disbelief" are excellent. I also like a lot of the stuff you can find on YouTube which includes but is not limited to the work of Non-Stamp Collector, DarkMatter2525, Evid3nc3, "The thinking Atheist," and any Christopher Hitchens debate.

Actually, I was watching the General Conference of the LDS church. This is 12 hours of church done twice a year over 3 days. There are 2 hour sessions where our church leaders teach us on gospel subjects, also lots and lots of hymns.

I'd quit going to church, or taking any of it seriously at that point in my life, but I wasn't anti-religious yet. Something in the hymns and talks that day "OPENED MY MIND." It suddenly hit me, "WE WORSHIP DEATH." We get together every week and drink pretend human blood, and eat pretend human flesh. We constantly talk about Christ's death, and on an on and on. YUCK. YUCK. YUCK.

At that moment I started thinking of all Christian religions as Christian Death Cults.

I quickly thought, "if I were to join a church, and they ritualistically sacrificed animals to their god, would I join that religion?" Yet, the Jews did that for centuries and I've always counted it as righteousness?????????????

Up to this point, I hadn't looked at a single anti-religion website, post, book, youtube video, etc..
After that day, I immersed myself in these things. Watched dozens of debates on religion on youtube, read Richard Dawkins & Sam Harris's books. Actually learned about what was in the Bible, the history of it, the conflicts between the authors of it, and on and on and on. My world was opened up that day.
THANK GOD!!!!

'God is not Great' by Christopher Hitchens
I haven't made it all the way through the book, it's rather heavy reading, but he makes such intelligent and well thought out points against religion, I don't know how anyone with an open mind could read it and still believe in 'god'.

Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion, helped solidify my thoughts, but prior to that there were various other books and movies.

I'll try to find time to read that bro. I hope they have free pdf download

You can watch the whole thing free on YouTube

ah, ok, thanks

Monty Python's "The life of Brian" - I saw it when I was in college as a freshman. it was the first time I had ever seen religion ridiculed. It also portrayed "Brian" to be an accidental Jesus which made me first see Jesus as just a man who preached a new philosophy. Just thinking that all his good ideas got mixed into "Christianity" makes me sad.

thank you for the info, I hope they have free download of "The Life Of Brian" because I've always liked Monty Python. I haven't seen a full movie of his because he was banned here in the Philippines for the very stupid reason of vulgarity and profanity. Heard from the grapevine that the religious groups were behind it.

The Phillippines happen to be a country of believers, approx 99.99% of the population believe in God or a god and gods of their own creation. Even the Muslims believe that there is a Jesus Christ but they don't seem to like Him

whoah! just visited Monty Python's site and it's a, wow, a gold mine and haven of the kind of movies I'd to watch. I'm particularly attracted to the movie of this title, "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" . . . how I wish I could find time to watch these movies. Thanks again Ceasar, errrrrrrrrr, aaaaahhh, Mr.Monkey, pardon

I've never been religious but the second most impactful book for me was "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell. The first most impactful book was the Bible itself, and I don't mean that as a joke. I read the NIV cover to cover, and the fact that I was never indoctrinated allowed me to read it without "God glasses on." Craziest damn thing I've ever read.

my dad love to tell us, "I'll never bet my life on the Bible"

Yes. The bible. A great NOVEL.

yes, my father and I call the "Israeli Mythology" and it really has some great stories

btw, my dad love to say, "I will not bet my life on the Bible"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.