Agnostic.com

30 67

"The story I’m about to share with you about Joe Biden is special — in fact, I’m fairly certain I’m the only living person left who actually witnessed it firsthand.

It was about 16 years ago, and I was a young rabbi, brand-new to Delaware, on my way to lead a shiva minyan — a worship service following the death of a Jewish person. I was from California. Back then, I didn’t know Claymont, Delaware from Scranton, Pennsylvania.

A quick bit of background: When someone passes away in the Jewish faith, we observe seven days of mourning, called shiva. We gather a group of ten Jewish adults together — a minyan — to say the Mourners’ Kaddish.

It usually happens in a person’s home — somewhere intimate.

In this case, the deceased individual — her name was Mrs. Greenhouse, of blessed memory — had not been a person of means. She had lived in rent-controlled senior housing in a tall high-rise building off of Namaans Road. Her apartment had been too small to fit everyone into, so we conducted our worship service in the building’s communal laundry room, in the basement of the high-rise.

We assembled the ten elders together, and it was in this most humble of places that I began to lead the kaddish.

Toward the end of the service, a door at the back of the laundry room opened, and who walks in but Senator Joe Biden, his head lowered, all by himself.

I nearly dropped my prayer book in shock.

Senator Biden stood quietly in the back of the room for the duration of the service.

At the close of the kaddish, I walked over to him and asked the same question that must have been on everyone else’s mind: “Senator Biden — what are you doing here?”

And he said to me: “Listen, back in 1972, when I first ran for Senate, Mrs. Greenhouse gave $18 to my first campaign. Because that’s what she could afford. And every six years, when I’d run for reelection, she’d give another $18. She did it her whole life. I’m here to show my respect and gratitude.”

Now, the number 18 is significant in the Jewish faith — its numbers spell out the Hebrew word chai, as in “to life, to life, l’chayim!”

But it’s also a humble amount. Joe Biden knew that. And he respected that.

There were no news outlets at our service that day — no Jewish reporters or important dignitaries.

Just a few elderly mourners in a basement laundry room.

Joe Biden didn’t come to that service for political gain. He came to that service because he has character. He came to that service because he’s a mensch.

And if we need anything right now when it comes to the leadership of our country — we need a mensch.

I know this is such a simple, small story. But I tell it to as many people as will listen to me.

Because I think that, in their heart of hearts, when people are trying to think about the decision they’ll make this year — this is the kind of story that matters.

Joe Biden is a mensch. We need a mensch.

Thanks for reading.

— Rabbi Michael Beals of Delaware

bobwjr 10 June 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No link was posted and it first struck me as kind of predictable political season feel-good stuff, but also as sappy and maybe false. When I went to look around though, so far it seems ok, and I think if true, it's really not a bad story. This link from 2019 provides not the text itself, but some reasonably-credible-looking context.

Joe Biden fundraising letter features rabbi’s story about the candidate
Biden explained that Greenhouse had sent his campaign $18 every Senate election since his first in 1972.
By RON KAMPEAS/JTA SEPTEMBER 10, 2019 02:08
[jpost.com]

kmaz Level 7 June 29, 2020

I got this on e-mail, last week, and sent it around. One person, came back with having lived in De. and known the Rabbi, and Biden, before he was VP I do not recall whether,or not she had known the then recently deceased, but she was not at all surprised to read of Biden's visit; saw it as in character!

Now he's a farkhalesht mensch... who doesn't know from borscht about anything, including where he is half the time.

LOL

That might be the problem with Biden, he's too much of mensch. The entire country might wind up looking like California, overrun with caravans of oppressed Latinos escaping the gangs and violence of their native countries. The president of El Salvador can't even take a walk in the capital of his country, San Salvador.

Jimmy Carter was a good man but a bad president. The country and the world just wasn't really for him.

Ohferpetessake.......overrun with white racists disguised as cops is what we have now! California is Not "overun" and i for one would most certainly choose Anything besides these drump racists! Of which you appear to be one......

@AnneWimsey You shouldn't jump to conclusions. I'm a consummate humanist. I'd bet you haven't lived in California, nor been there lately. People of means are leaving in droves. In San Francisco people use the streets as their bathroom. Prices are skyrocketing and taxes unbearable. My son is a commercial over-the-road truck driver and he tells me he's afraid to drive in Ca. because the cops see him as a piece of taxable commercial meat.

I was merely bringing up an election day consideration. That shouldn't make me a racist.

@Aristippus sound like a racist, make untrue remarks, get seen for what you really are....too bad So sad....."overrun" my ass!

If the whole country did wind up looking like California, you'd be in better shape.

Maybe if the US would stop meddle in Latin American countries then there would not be so many people trying to escape.

In 1989, with the violent crime rate continuing to rise as it had since the 1970s, Mr. Biden lamented that the Republican president, George H. W. Bush, was not doing enough to put “violent thugs” in prison. In 1993, he warned of “predators on our streets.” And in a 1994 Senate floor speech, he likened himself to another Republican president: “Every time Richard Nixon, when he was running in 1972, would say, ‘Law and order,’ the Democratic match or response was, ‘Law and order with justice’ — whatever that meant. And I would say, ‘Lock the S.O.B.s up.’”

It meant "due process." If you are unfamiliar with the concept, I suggest you study up on it.

@Floriduhartist So you think he has changed since then.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.