Agnostic.com

6 3

I hate people degrading the name Karen. Sexism been a thing forever. There are famous accomplished people named Karen. There are underpriviliged people who struggle and have been victimized named Karen. There are people of every shade named Karen. Its name calling and hurtful. Its like middle school bullying. Better to use words in a less hurtful and more constructive way.

thinkwithme 7 June 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is very cruel and silly. Fortunately I think that it is just a passing fad, which will soon be forgotten. I met an Adolphus the other day, quite a young man and not extreme right.

We watched Jo Jo Rabbit last night and it was really good

The fad has bothered me from the beginning possibly because I never heard that there was a male counterpart.

It's very hard to make fun of a stereotype without
creating some prejudicial images that offend.

It probably bothered you bc it is name calling anf generally degrading women. The Kyle idea isnt mentioned much and seems to exist only to say there is a male counterpart and it doesnt make it better.

I don't even know how it started. Weird to pick one first name

I guess the next protest should be Karens lives matter!!!

lerlo Level 8 June 29, 2020

Or a try not to be an asshole day!

@thinkwithme that would be for all men right?
Cuz the women are named Karen and the men are just assholes

@lerlo and that is a classic example of how bad sexism makes men feel and how defensive they become when you try to discuss it. Apparently they also call men Kyle but we don't hear much about him. Anyone can be an asshole. My point is let's try to be kind

@thinkwithme Not defensive at all. Having endured prejudice and discrimination my whole life some complaint over a name isn't going to get to me. I notice you didnt include "Kyle" in your post. I guess if it were some female name other than Karen you might not have posted at all. To make your point, you should have included"Kyle" and any other stereotypes. But you only included the name that mattered to you. Ponder that "sexism."

@lerlo I have seen very few references to Kyle and you apparently never have. But if you need to talk more about how you feel it is hard to be a guy or otherwise feel discriminated against, go ahead

@thinkwithme Thanks for not getting my point. YOU decided I said is was hard to be a guy and apparently YOU are blind to any discrimination other than to "karens" Sad. Someone with a broad viewpoint might have admitted that adding "Kyles" to you post might have been a better idea--but that's not your soap box. You don't care about stereotypes in general--just the one you want to discuss. I get it. If I want to talk about anything other than karens I need to make my own post. Got it.

@lerlo I invited you to talk about the unique problems men feel or how you feel discriminated against. And we often talk about one thing at a time, but that doesnt mean it is all we care about

@thinkwithme I like that ine

Let's start a movement to call them IVANKA.....

Again, its another opportunity for namecalling that does little for progress.

I agree it has got out of hand, and never should have been embraced in the first place

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:510591
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.