Agnostic.com

10 7

Anyone ever lose touch with their kids because you turned away from Xianity?

Haven't seen mine in 20 years. Not looking for sympathy; just every once in a while I hope against hope they'll come to their senses. Their mother did an artful job of making me the bad guy unfortunately! So - any similar experiences to share, or insights? (For the record, attempts to contact them have been spurned...)

Hominid 7 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Update: got in touch with my son a few months ago, and have established a very warm and loving relationship with him! Turns out he needed to do a LOT of processing thanks to his mother's bi-polar condition, and the resulting abuse, which I had no idea about. It's made him look at me in a different light, so now instead of telling everyone I abandoned him and his sisters, he now describes how his mother did everything she could to keep me from them. How's THAT for a turn-around! Time does a lot, so if anyone is still estranged from family, take heart...

Look at the good side, you're free of religious indoctrination. Live your life to the fullest and don't dwell on your kids. They chose their own fate. Find another lady and feel good that you're rid of a nasty lady, who doesn't give a damn about you, or your kids, if she'd so coldly do what she did.

Thank you for that... I did find a gem of a woman who loves and supports me. She saw first hand the kind of person my ex was, and it gave her the creeps!

Thanks for your encouragement.

I’m so sorry. I’ll hope they do too.

No, my daughter is a chip off the old block, a non-beliver.

Yep. My daughter and stepson. My oldest son is probably agnostic or at least questioning the evidence for god. We still talk daily.

My family, yes. I don't have any kids.

That's awful. I raised my three on my own and thought I'd done an ok job. Then my son succumbed to his xian wife's manipulation, and now he's a fervent religiot. I'm still in touch with him, but it's really, really hard to have a conversation over more than the usual niceties. We were so close, and now we're not. It's awful.

I know. It's a lot like he's been infected by a pernicious virus, one that takes over the mind. In memetics, his wife is called a vector, the transmitter of the virus.

@Aristopus I shall call her that from now on. The Venomous Vector.

@GoldenDoll In general in the natural world the vector is usually quite innocent. Malaria for instance is transmitted by an innocent looking mosquito called Anopheles. The insect itself doesn't cause much harm, other than a little itchy bump on the skin. It's the parasite Plasmodium that it injects into the skin that does all the damage. Notice that the mosquito doesn't "bite", it injects like a doctor's needle.

So when a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses knock on your door with the line "do you want to be saved," don't answer. They're vectors. They carry Christianity, much like a virus.

@Aristopus Well she ain't innocent. So I'll calll her Poisonous Plasmodium from now on.

No, but the reverse, my ex has distanced my kids, many reasons, but the fact that they would not follow her religion is one of them.

My parents almost did?They tried to give me a lame ultimatum to go to their church and raise MY kids in their religion.

Emme Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

No, my kids were agnostic before I was. But a good way to change the negative ways of others is to use behaviorist methods.

Totally ignore them. Don't talk about them, post about them, or bemoan your fate to anyone. Act like they don't exist. Get busy and happy with your own life and act like you forgot about them.

Since the point of blackballing is to punish you, they'll soon start making overtures.
Whenever they actually say something positive to you, ONLY THEN notice them-look at them, smile at them briefly, then go about your business. No clingy, needy, desperate behavior. Just act like you are preoccupied with more important things.

If you only acknowledge them when they say or do something you approve, it won't take long before they are the ones trying to get your attention.
Just stay cool, and have many friends and activities to occupy your time so you don't give the impression of some lonely, sad person-which would only encourage your family to scorn you.

This is not reality for real people, people you love. It might work with dogs. And I hate manipulation (the reason my son and I have a problem in the first place), and I refuse to use it.

@GoldenDoll It works. It stopped my parents from attacking me and my kids every time we came over. Every time my dad started accusing us of something I'd say, "Look at the time," and we'd leave. it only took two weeks before my mom would hush my dad whenever he started insulting us.

If you act all lovey-dovey, clingy, etc., they will only continue to blackball you. That is also the same technique cis hetero women use to make men behave. Sadly, I'm so masculine, I can't do that, so my men have always disrespected and cheated on me, when a normal woman would have thrown their stuff on the lawn and changed the locks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.