Agnostic.com

14 1

When someone starts brow beating you with their religion what do you do ?

Do you try to enlighten devotes

• 4 votes
  • 1 vote
Akdd333 3 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Generally, I make a smart-assed comment and walk away. I have no time in my life for worthless conversations.

Start laughing, throw out a couple babble verses that contradict everything they are saying if you can, walk away. But definitely laugh, a lot!

People haven't done anything as strong as brow beating me on the topic. If my lack of religion comes up at all, they may express shock (maybe because I come across as a nice, "normal" person?), and some have indicated that they believe I'll come to my senses and change my mind some day, but there's been a noteworthy lack of any attempt to persuade me. And that's fine.

I have never had that happen to me.

Depends on what mood I am in and how much time I have to waste

Ignore them

bobwjr Level 10 July 7, 2020

I just listen and smile like I would when children tell me about their day..

I'm honest about how I feel and what I think. I tell them they can do whatever they want, but don't count me in on it. I let them know at the beginning of any such discussion that if they want to preserve the status of their faith they don't want to have the conversation.

Leave them alone

Don't waste energy arguing with anybody who's little mind is made up.

Sadly I usually do nothing but leave. I really should engage with them, but then you have to be very careful to be extra polite and charming. Because you have to remember that they have probably been sent out by their cult to be annoying, so that people will threaten and insult them and their beliefs, that's why they are there. That way it reinforces the cults message that, safety, comfort, friendship and moral support only come from within the cult, and that the outside world is threatening and immoral. Sending them out to annoy people is part of the brainwashing.

Do you really think that that's why they're sent out to proselytize? You could be on to something there...that certainly wasn't my impression when I was in the church, being told to spread the word, but I was good and indoctrinated, so maybe I couldn't see it for what it was. Maybe they really were setting us up to fail, so that we would return to safety! That's a disturbing thought.

Regarding how you might engage them: I'm not so sure that either arguing OR being "polite and charming" is the best way to go. For me, anyway, the conversations that had the biggest affect on me were neither confrontational nor super-polite. The conversations that really shook me were full of questions. "How do you know that's true?" "Are you sure?" "But why would God do THAT?" "Is an older text more reliable than a newer one, really?"....and so forth.

True, this is something that people have to puzzle out for themselves. But you can help them along by asking questions. (If you're so inclined, I mean - there's no obligation! But I am still grateful to those who took the time to do so.)

@AmyTheBruce
I believe the send them out to fail method of indoctrination is a well recognized thing, which has been written up in some fairly mainstream medical/psychology papers. Another member gave a link to one of them some time ago, if I can still find it, it was a long time ago I will pass you the link.

Yes the asking questions, is the thing, charming and polite was just an coment on the way to do it best of course.

@AmyTheBruce so what did change your mind ? Mist people who strong controlling religious are really difficult to convince of anything other than what they were taught???

@Akdd333 There were a lot of little things, over the years, that worked to gradually erode my religion...and big things, that shook it up all at once. When remembering what changed my mind, I sometimes think of only the big "Ah-hah!" moments, as though they could have existed without the gradual erosion. The truth is, though, that the castle probably wouldn't have fallen if its foundation hadn't been already eaten away by years of little questions.

Those asking me the difficult little questions, over the years, probably didn't think that they were making any difference. They probably thought that they had wasted their time. And when I finally shed religion (suddenly, loudly, dramatically,) many people took guesses about the cause...but only looked at events and arguments in the recent past.

My answer could be either, depending on my mood, my relationship with them, how much free time I have, etc.

Make sure I get equal time to tell them mine.

skado Level 9 July 7, 2020

Smirk and walk away with a pity in the heart.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:513011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.