Agnostic.com

7 10

Oh, for fuck's sake! That was rough!

I just had an argument over the phone with that same Trumpublican friend I had the jingoism argument with a few days ago. This time she was going on and on about how wearing a mask was an assault on her personal freedom and it was the government trying to control her. Also, if everybody else is wearing a mask why does she have to? Aren't they protected by their masks? All the same stupid Republican arguments all Trump people are making. I explained to her that it wasn't political, it was just a basic strategy to guard against an aggressive airborne contagion that's out of control.

She still didn't get it so we hung up after confirming our plan for a good long walk tomorrow. Then, a few minutes later, I saw this meme and sent it to her.

Sgt_Spanky 8 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As of this afternoon we agreed to never discuss anything political again. A wise move, I think.

"cognitive dissonance" It's a real thing - not easily overridden in too many minds !

Stay your distance from her. She's a superspreader.

barjoe Level 9 July 12, 2020

If they can read (doubtful), this explains how it's NOT her freedom not to wear a mask.
No one citizen or minority group gets to decide not to follow the law, in this case refusing to wear masks. The U.S. Supreme Court in Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 set forth the issue succinctly, "The liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States does not import an absolute right in each person to be at all times, and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint, nor is it an element in such liberty that one person, or a minority of persons residing in any community and enjoying the benefits of its local government, should have power to dominate the majority when supported in their action by the authority of the State." "It is equally true that the State may invest local bodies called into existence for purposes of local administration with authority in some appropriate way to safeguard the public health and the public safety...There are manifold restraints to which every person is necessarily subject for the common good. On any other basis, organized society could not exist with safety to its members. 197 U.S 26 In Crowley v. Christensen,137 U. S. 89, 97 the Supreme Court said: "The possession and enjoyment of all rights are subject to such reasonable conditions as may be deemed by the governing authority of the country essential to the safety, health, peace, good order and morals of the community. Even liberty itself, the greatest of all rights, is not unrestricted license to act according to one's own will."

lerlo Level 8 July 12, 2020

But they would just say, and in fact are saying, these things are unreasonable not reasonable conditions. And last time I checked their dear leader has written off SCOTUS as a bunch of Deep State actors so I doubt they would pay any attention to this.

If you want to get them to believe anything these days you'd do better to make it part of QAnonsense conspiracy theory. Eg. that the Deep State is spraying COVID-19 in chemtrails and encouraging Trump voters to not wear masks so there will be fewer of them around to vote in November. Behind our masks ever liberal is smiling smugly knowing the maskholes and COVID Karen's days are numbered...

@prometheus well it's more that they're idiots and can't understand, not won't. But they would buy your ruse for sure

The thing is, it's not just masks. Same argument over lots of things, fireworks, for instance. Conservatives refuse to accept that when you live within proximity of other people, there will be some infringement of personal freedoms so that everyone can be safely accommodated. They have no sense of community. My theory is that conservatism is a form of Attachment Disorder.

It's some kind of disorder that's been made worse with the rise of Trump.

maybe she don't get it, or maybe she just doesn't want to. a good long walk tomorrow? cuz you're going to go on long walks and have arguments you might end up getting married. 🤣

We were already married. We've remained friend and go out pretty regularly and have a good time. It's only in the last year or so she's gotten this bad and I'm pretty sure it's because of her best friend -- a psycho Trump worshipper and evangelical crank who's having a very bad influence on her.

@Sgt_Spanky ah... the post marriage phase. I was joking around I didn't want to bring up anything painful. sorry if I did. sounds like she needs some new friends.

@hankster No problem at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:514611
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.