Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Japan: Anger at coronavirus outbreaks at US Marine bases in Okinawa - Business Insider

Japanese authorities are demanding answers from the US after a large scale coronavirus outbreak among Marines stationed in the country's southern prefecture of Okinawa.

61 Marines have been infected with the virus in recent days, according to the Guardian newspaper, spread across two bases in the archipelago — which has long been a US military stronghold in the eastern Pacific.

HippieChick58 9 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are all infected vermin in the eyes of the world, and provably so

That has been on the news and in the paper. Japan has had lots of trouble with the US (a previous rape by a US soldier did not help) and are looking for ways to kick us out.

Years ago we had a home stay for Japanese students and one of our first was from Okinawa. I learned a lot about that part of Japan from Risa. One thing we did learn is that in the older generations the island has some of the most long-lived, healthy people in the world. However, the younger generation is crashing with heart problems, obesity, high blood pressure and other maladies. Reason is simply that the Americans have brought fast food to the island. The Us tout personal protection but often the cost outweigh the price.

My Humanist Book Club is currently reading The Blue Zones, and one of the Blue Zones is Okinawa. Blue Zones are where there is an unusually high number of centenarians - people who live to be over 100 years old. I spent 18 months in Okinawa 1977 to 1979 when I was fresh outta HS and newly in the Army. Even then the relations between the American Forces and the local nationals tended to be strained. Yes, GIs mistreating the local women, and the America spouse that had a MVA that killed a child did not help either. The native people of Okinawa are not true Japanese and the Japanese mistreated them horribly during WWII. Going to Okinawa at age 18 was an awakening experience for me, small town girl from the Great Plains.

@HippieChick58 A book (1994) Material World had Okinawa as one of it's subjects and it highlighted the longevity issue. A recent Netflix series "World at War in color" talked about the horror of taking Okinawa and I suspect the great climate had something to do with the US forces settling there. What most people don't know that, along with the troops came the University of Maryland Asian Division (certainly you were aware of it). A new director for the European Division, Dr.Joe Arden, came from the Asian Division but always had a fondness for Asia (he now lives in Bangkok). When our student arrived from Okinawa we took her to downtown Seattle and she was uncomfortable with all the crowds. This was a mystery to us but she said Okinawa was not heavily settled like the rest of Japan. I think if I were to travel to Japan I would want to go to Okinawa.

I'm sure they're right pissed with America - I'm an American and I'm beyond pissed. There will be no need for any border walls, I predict in a matter of weeks America will be personae non grata. NO one will come here and we will NOT be allowed out. Period. No other country will allow an American anywhere near them.

I was stationed in Okinawa in 1977. Even then the relations with the US bases and the locals were sometimes tense. GIs just don't have a good appreciation of the Japanese ways. Americans are generally crass, and I can't believe it will have gotten better. As a nation, as a people we can do so much better. The Ugly American just keeps on doing its ugly thing.

@HippieChick58 I know the Japanese have a long history of tradition, discipline and a deep love of nature and it's beauty. Things many Americans seem never able to understand. Of all the places on earth Japan is one I would love to see first hand. Their pottery is WONderful! I love Ikebana, bonsai, etc.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:514864
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.