Agnostic.com

5 1

I was one of the children whose 4 and 5-year-old nightmares were about the "Atom Bomb" as we knew it then.

Allamanda 8 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi,

I will be 65 soon. I remeber we had to have a cardigan sweater at school. The drill was put it over the shoulders get under your dest ass to the windownd cover with the cardigan and then kiss your ass goodby. In HS one teacher told us to look out the window. It seems that the Queens County Courthouse was a target for ariel burst bombs and we should never fear it, as we would be flambed to ions brfore we even could register it was a bomb. It was an all boys HS and they taught us very well. Lotsa Science, ssports and history.

many eons later I found out that the goverment only created Fema to make it look like the Atomic Wars were survivable. The fact that they never had enough of anything to approach survival for a city like NYC, was just a facade.

I also watched the special on the redoubt the scumbags built for themselves, very very very Dr Stranglove.

But Fema, as it happens is really good at minor issues like Super Storm Sandy, when run well.

the repugnicans defunded it and destroyed it, kinda like Drumpf firing all the people who were there to assist with controlling a plague, he did what he thought best , fuck everybody and fire them.

I have a german american friend who has lived in japan since college days.

He said when the big quake hit Cali 20 years ago , they had a blast pissing on Americans, we were stupid and did not know how to do anything. But Fema (then still in great shape), along with volunteers and Ham Radio Operators swung into action.

They were very impressed but still their late night TV hosts pissed all over us.

Then Kobe got flattened like a bug by Godzilla.

Their way of doing everything was proved to be useless, completely useless. They ate crow, they sent people here to study Fema, how it was meant to work, the output was , it was near perfect(far cry from useless Americans), they copied it and I am sure they tweaked it a bit. Then Bush and the repugnicans destroy it. SS Sandy devastaes the USA. Bush is not prepared to do shit we all suffer, a lot, some STILL ARE NOT WHOLE.

My buddy calls me (rare and expensive), his entire family live here. in a very solemn tone he asks "what happened, what did Bush do to America?"

The entire country was in shock, they learned from us and now they were asking as a nation, what happened to America. I had to explain to him what I could.

a year later on a LIRR train into NYC I am among German Tourists who eventually feel brave enough to ask the same questions. They said what Tom said, in our country the people are totally confused, how was Bush allowed to destroy the part of the government that helps when disaster strikes.

When I got them to understand I did not vote for him and disliked him, they felt a tad safer. They felt so many American were on the edge of Nazi-ism, they were almost afraid to ask questions.

Now we are getting rid of drumpf, but he installed 3 nightmares on the Supreme Court, and over 200 federal judges, who will screw regular people for the next 20-60 years.

If I did not have kids, I would not care. And they can all shove a giddeons bible up their keisters'.

Cover up, get under your desk and kiss your ass goodby!

We did duck and cover and they even let us out of class early once. We were quite near some important bases. On a different note the thing that gave me nightmares was Lassen volcano. There were walkways with no rails that went through boiling mud pits and I was plagued by visions of falling in and being cooked alive.

Unfortunately, for many it is returning due to the present instability. [cnn.com]

I was one of those kids who had drills regularly through grammar school years for "duck & cover" under our little desks to protect ourselves from the atom bomb. That's would have saved my ass.

I’d given it a lot of thought ..back in the days… Was planning for a 20 megaton air-burst over my hometown.. Really, though, I think humanity’s done well. The fact it was used only twice, to both give an example, and revenge, shows most take it seriously. Humanity was bound to eventually ‘figure it out.’

We’re forced to negotiate now, and at worst, the occasional proxy war ..if at the expense of smaller nations. But humanity’s survived, and ‘harnessed’ this amazing power. And hopefully learned from our mistakes 😕

Varn Level 8 July 16, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515880
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.