Agnostic.com

13 28

Doctors have another enemy to fight besides COVID-19: Misinformation.

By Asha Shajahan, M.D.

"“Misinformation is causing panic, anger, polarization between political parties, sickness and even death. It’s time to assign it a diagnostic code.”

"As a primary care physician, I do myth-busting during nearly 90% percent of my video visits; about 80% of my patients’ have scheduled appointments just for information on COVID-19. Rather than diagnosing and treating, my work has evolved into directing patients to credible resources like the CDC and the World Health Organization’s mythbuster page.

"Still, patients wanted to get the facts from me, a physician on the front lines. They asked questions like, “Doctor, I read that vitamin D, zinc and vitamin C will kill the virus. I’ve been taking double the recommended dose. Do I still need to wear a mask?”

"I guide patients to look at an article’s date, the author’s background and show them how to search to see if a conclusion appears consistently in various reliable sources. Essentially, I try to teach them how to sort through misinformation, a skill that now has a direct impact on their health outcomes."

Immediate consequences

"Medical misinformation is nothing new — it has been a constant problem adversely affecting people’s health. However, COVID-19 medical misinformation is even more dangerous because of its immediate consequences, such as causing people to ignore social distancing and wearing face masks, thus putting others at risk.

"Misinformation also is causing panic, anger, polarization between political parties, sickness and even death."

Novel virus

"Patients rightfully have many questions. But COVID-19 is different from most diseases; being a novel virus, the research available is still largely inconclusive and the answers are often unknown. People are also scrambling to find reliable information because national public health leaders and government agencies like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have been marginalized by government leaders."

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lately I have wondered if the preposterous volume of misinformation is a) a foreign sabotage campaign or b) an attempt to decimate the ignorant. Could be fiendishly clever and disastrous.

Republicans (hereafter referred to as repugs because they're repugnant) have for yewars downplayed education and ignored science.
They have also denigrated government.
All this is part of their scheme to acquire and retain power. Let's not confuse people with facts seems to be their motto.
Of course, they're ignorant themselves. Just think of the idiot who brought a snowball into congress to "prove" that there was no such thing as global warming.
Yes, foreign powers- such as tRump's friend and ally, russia, may make the problem worse. But the problem started here because of anti-expertise.
Another part of the problem is that most Americans care more for sports (especially football) and entertainment (personally, I don't give a damn about what movie star is dating whom) than actually learning about the world and the universe.

Another part of the problem is shallowness and over-simplification. Just think of all the religionists who will tell you that this country was founded as a christian nation. Of course, they forget the fact that their definition of "christian" is quite different than what the founding fathers held.

I live in rural Alberta. Apparently, I'm surrounded by "experts" (who never went to university, never left the province, and some of whom never got a high school diploma, but they know it all). The popular thinking here is that it's just a hoax or government conspiracy to control the public.

I haven't left my property in over 4 months (I'm a hermit anyway so it's not an issue for me) though I've managed to work two jobs this whole time. I don't require masks at my business because we are able to social distance but many of my clients don't even care about keeping the required distance from me. I posted a sign right at the door but no one read it!!!

"The numbers don't add up," one of my clients and friend told me when I showed up, wearing my cute cat nose/whisker mask, to the parking lot to drop off some purchases to her in her car. Yeah, lady, if the numbers don't add up for you, it's because you've never excelled in Math.

Oh come on....everyone around here knows that you don't need a mask because you can just pray it away. ... that might have something to do with the new order from our red g.j governor finally making masks mandatory after his colossal failure of an early reopening.

@LiterateHiker Nice. I've got one of my daughter's artistic creations.

@Wolf041

I always wear a mask in public. These are masks I sewed. TA DA!

I have not read the article but I am quite aware of the misinformation coming from multiple sources so here's my thought pick up the writing utensil of your choice and let every one of your representatives know that you are tired of the b***. Thank you very much. We now return you to regular programming.

@Fred_Snerd I use email and phone

@Fred_Snerd And a Republican senator promptly ignored 7276 of them in less than 24 seconds.

@Fred_Snerd if they print them, it's much easier to delete the print queue.

@Fred_Snerd that’s a great, but rather chilling movie. Even more scary that the UK is currently having major trade talks with the US at the moment and leaving the EU has already left us in a situation with reduced rights.
I went to rally for proportional representation, the last one I went for, the turn out was minuscule. I wish there was a group that could unf@c¥ things. I personally feel that there would be less mental health problems if people felt heard.

For the lulz

SCal Level 7 July 16, 2020

Wow! Sad that doctors have to spend diagnostics time doing education

It's tragic that so much human energy must be consumed fighting misinformation, sorcery, mass-hypnosis, mind-fucking, etc. This shit started to clear up when The Enlightenment happened. Now we need to establish the value of truth again.

Everybody knows this virus is a democrat hoax which was never stopped by Obama and Biden.

I am so happy she is setting her patients on the right path

Much misinformation is pushed by the current administration.

I have been reading in medical journals about various aspects of covid19 and even in those the information seems to be conflicting from several sources.

azzow2 Level 9 July 16, 2020

It's not conflicting at all.. This virus is new and not fully understood yet.. New information is discovered daily..

@Cutiebeauty It's funny to watch emotion leap frog learning. Say like, the things you might learn from, I don't know, medical journals.

@K9Kohle789 That is good info I will have to research some on this. Thank you.

“Doctor, I read that vitamin D, zinc and vitamin C will kill the virus. I’ve been taking double the recommended dose. Do I still need to wear a mask?”

Clueless!!

Many doctors suggest this protocol.

@BDair

"Do I still need to wear a mask?”

Wear a mask indoors in public spaces, or in crowded areas. Outdoors walking, biking. or sailing, then no.

[cihs.edu]

@BDair I understand about using these vitamins and such.. What I'm laughing is the, do I still have to wear a mask part...

Thanks to trump and Fox

bobwjr Level 10 July 16, 2020

Will it ever end?

Fox was sued but wiggled out of it under the guise of free speech.

@Justme43 Yeah, when trump and his clan is gone, only a few more months to find out how that going to go.

@MrDragon I know, but if Biden wins,what do you think Trump will do?

@Justme43 not sure, maybe continue to promote Goya beans?

@Justme43 very interesting question. Traditionally, one of the best ways to retain power is to start a war. North Korea might be a good candidate.

@Justme43 go to jail

@bobwjr I have long wondered if Hair Furor will fly to refuge against extradition if he loses big in November. Personally, I would dearly love to see his perp walk.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:515915
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.