Agnostic.com

27 8

Have you been asked to rescue someone?

Today I received this message on OK Cupid:

"Miss Kathleen, you I would like to meet. You seem to be really full of life.

"I am a lot like you. Although of late my energy has been focused on side stepping depression. Divorce is very draining, but I look so forward to walking out of the frustration and shame and breathing once again.

"I think I would enjoy being infected with your energy. Doug"

Not again. Recently I rejected a man who is deeply depressed and wants me to rescue him. He appears to have clinical depression and dependent personality disorder. Gary wanted me to make him happy, get up off the couch and hike. Although he claims to love hiking, he hasn't hiked in years.

Gary asked me to move in with him during our first (and only) meet. Yikes.

The last straw was when he posted two hiking photos I took of Minotaur Lake and surrounding mountains on his photography website. He posted my photos without my permission, and without crediting me as the photographer. I was appalled.

"It is unethical to pass off my photos as your own," I said. "My intentions were honorable," he replied. What is honorable about plagiarism?

Gary's ego is so fragile, he immediately cancelled his Facebook profile, Fitness Singles membership and photography website. Apparently, he put all of his emotional eggs in one basket.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Even at my ripe age I am easily suckered by a pretty face and a sob story. I think I'm going to turn their life around, but they're that way for a reason and it becomes an exercise in bashing my head against a brick wall. Even though I know that, I still can't seem to stop myself somehow.

Once years ago, my daughter asked me about her "new daddy." It seems this guy had actually told my daughter that. The only contact we had was weekday meetings at the bus stop. I was very upset and the next time I saw him, I let him have it and told him to never go near me or my daughter again. The only conversation we'd had previously was on the weather!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51610
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.