Agnostic.com

7 6

LINK The Four Desires Driving All Human Behavior: Bertrand Russell’s Magnificent Nobel Prize Acceptance Speech – Brain Pickings

"Man differs from other animals in one very important respect, and that is that he has some desires which are, so to speak, infinite, which can never be fully gratified, and which would keep him restless even in Paradise."

Russell points to four such infinite desires — acquisitiveness, rivalry, vanity, and love of power — and examines them in order:

Amzungu 8 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All of those four desires can be reduced in to one behavioral trait Avarice (the overwhelming desire for things and deference)

I do not think I have any of those 4 things, and if I recognized that I did, I would work hard to stamp them out....seems like a recipe for total unhappiness!

Great link. I started to read it and could not stop. More of this please

Brain pickings has some great reads! It's a rabbit hole I often find myself diving into for hours. Glad you enjoyed it.

A truly intriguing thought.

Petter Level 9 July 19, 2020

There is another factor at work on those who gain power, especially political power, and that is fear. Since it is hard for those who gain power not to abuse it, even by accident. And they then find themselves in the position of riding the tiger; they can not get off, for fear of having to answer for what they have done, or having it undone by a reaction. While increasing irrational fear of falling or being thrown off, drives them to abuse the tiger even more, which in turn makes them more fearful, and so on.

In the words of Shakespeare, "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown."

“ Since power over human beings is shown in making them do what they would rather not do, the man who is actuated by love of power is more apt to inflict pain than to permit pleasure.”

Well that explains a lot.

skado Level 9 July 19, 2020

I wrote this above but thought it may interest you. There is another factor at work on those who gain power, especially political power, and that is fear. Since it is hard for those who gain power not to abuse it, even by accident. And they then find themselves in the position of riding the tiger; they can not get off, for fear of having to answer for what they have done, or having it undone by a reaction. While increasing irrational fear of falling or being thrown off, drives them to abuse the tiger even more, which in turn makes them more fearful, and so on.

I think the full text is here :

[nobelprize.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516752
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.