Agnostic.com

9 4

Goddamn i live a miserable life, i live in a shit hole double wide, i have a 300 pound sister that doesn't bathe and talks to her English boyfriend on the playstation live, i have a 70 year old mother that gets into a depressed fit every time im too silent in the living room when i read comic volumes, my fother just died on the 5th, and every year i feel like im gonna die because i live in florida, and i have vary strong social anxiety and the only people i can talk to is my sister and mom! I'm to scared to talk to my brother because he used to bully me when i was little. I'm only 37 and I'm already having a mid-life crisis.

TimothySkaggs 6 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are mid-life. 37 =37 = 74. That is the average lifespan for a USA male...or close. Lets not nickel & dime. Get out of toxic situations. LAUNCH!

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." Get out & experience life.

"Mental Health Support " - maybe joining other folks with issues - who can offer suggestions - and who may have been down the road you are on - will help you. Just click the link.

You could spend a bit of time & money to transform the double-wide, which a homeless person would consider a princely castle.
You could start taking walks with your sister, and maybe make some healthy food for both of you.
You could bring the 70-year old on the walks, or drop him on a bench along the way.
What I am trying to tell you is, whining does nothing to improve things, and taking even tiny actions will give you a satisfying feeling of being in control instead of enjoying being a "victim"

First of all, 37 is the right age for a midlife crisis. Get it out of the way early.

And you really do live a miserable life! You actually make me feel better about my life. My life is just empty. I don't have leeches hanging onto me, I live in a real house that's paid for, and I will never be bothered by relatives. I suppose my corpse will be found by someone who turns off the utilities due to non-payment.

Never understood midlife crisis. Never had one.My husband did at 38.

@freeofgod Women don't have Midlife Crises, they have babies. Men experience it when they realize half their life is over and they haven't experienced joy yet.

Have you ever tried telling a doctor about the social anxiety? And seeking treatment or counselling? Or going to a support group for people with social anxiety? If it is such a hindrance to your quality of life I highly suggest you seek medical care for it eventually.

People think that social anxiety can be fixed with treatment. In my case, social anxiety is permanent damage and can't be fixed. All we can do is learn to endure it. And I haven't learned yet.

Notice I never said it can be "fixed". Just as I do not believe clinical depression or clinical anxiety can ever be fixed, only medicated and symptoms controlled or lessened. But your mentality can be dangerous and justifies one taking no action to try and help themselves and just accepting a harder life than is necessary. If not medication, then some type of therapy be it CBT, DBT, relational therapy, psychotherapy, or whatever therapy is best suited for social anxiety.

I guess the question is, do you want to change this? How bad? Would you consider therapy? There are groups to help build self confidence and deal with social anxieties. There are also plenty of books with plenty of tips to get you started. The important thing is to be brave, take those first steps and do what you need for your sanity.

AmyLF Level 7 July 19, 2020

If I were you in your situation feeling the way you do, I'd start with assessing it; writing it out, exactly as you have done. I'd continue that. Now it looks like you care about yourself and your family and that can be work. Think like a janitor and use this as an opportunity to work on your own capacities and create order in your life and those surrounding you. Fostering a sense of gratitude for your work, even though you might rather be doing anything else is also the work. With compassion.

You’re in a rut and only you can get yourself out of it. You are now 37, what is stopping you from living a life independent of your family?

I would guess the economy and finances. Millenials are living with their family longer cuz of inheriting a crappy economy with part time or low paid jobs with unaffordable housing prices. It is the burdensome life of our generation. It may sound like excuses, but it is really the statistical realities of life these days. One cannot work one job anymore to support a family, let alone support themselves. Ya used to be able to do so back in the day, where a minimum wage was a livable wage.

@demifeministgal I’d rather hear it from him...he hasn’t replied. Is someone born in 1983 actually a millennial anyway...not in my understanding of the word.

It depends on which source you go to. Some claim millenials as those born from 1980 to 2000. Others claim it as those born mid 80s to 2000. Still others state mid 80s to mid 90s. I personally use the 1980 to 2000 version.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:516781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.