Agnostic.com

5 7

This is troubling! This is the new Republican tactic to take over state governments. Like Wisconsin, where the Republican Congress tried to kneecap the Democrat elected governor by taking away much of the offices power.

With the right-wing recall in full swing against Michigan Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, a new threat is emerging on the other side of the country:

In Oregon, Republicans just announced that they're already halfway to their signature-collection goal to recall their state's Democratic governor, too – and with money pouring in from a dark-money group linked to far-right militias and QAnon conspiracy theorists, it's possible that a recall election could happen as soon as October.

This is exactly how Republicans hoped this would play out, Torrence: Gov. Kate Brown cleaned the GOP's clocks in 2018, so now they're hoping to steal her seat in a low-turnout special election, just weeks before Trump himself is on the ballot in November.

This is only the beginning, too. The right-wing power-grabs against Govs. Whitmer and Brown are just two of the EIGHT recall or impeachment drives targeting Democratic governors across the nation. If we don't help Democratic legislators fight back immediately, they could be overwhelmed from the start by unlimited checks from Trump's allies.

Barnie2years 8 July 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I didn't realize recalling was even a possibility. I need to become more familiar with the process. Would elections be held in each of the state's where these petitions are circulating that include the current Gov vs other candidate? Or are a certain number of signatures all that is needed?

In WI it was not only Congress but state supreme court too. In my mind those tactics seemed to be against the very will and health of the people! As to the state's with possible recalls, I would have know more about the process before I could decide on if it was right or wrong.

I have to read more on this. I think there are many things going on that are very questionable.

Republicans are filthy. Everything they do must be countered.

Oregon has always suffered from ‘dark money’ pouring in, especially to place union-busting diversionary ‘ballot measures’ on crowded ballots … assuming folks won’t have time to figure them out or be overwhelmed by advertisements promoting them..

Everything Republican initiated should be rejected - period

Varn Level 8 July 20, 2020

Shock and awe in Iraq was just a violent extension of Republican political policy in the US since Nixon.

I think assuming a special election will be low-turnout in this climate requires only some publicity to make it a Huge turnout & not in a way they want!

One can always hope the Left can get organized and get out the vote! I truly believe that the majority of this country is Liberal if not progressive. But we tend to be much less organized normally than the Right and their religious lock-step organizations which can move their people to vote against their own self-interests. With the current conditions and the Trump shit storm, the left is starting to solidify at the Federal level, but too many people are still not paying attention to the state and local candidates. Here in PA, a lot of districts don’t even have opposition candidates if the district is known to be Red. My district House Seat has never been won by a Democrat since I have lived here. But due to changing demographics, last election the Democratic candidate gave him a run for his money. The Left needs to have candidates and at least show up at the polls!

So many people don't pay any attention to legislative races and that is going to be our downfall. They find they get tired of of Republican policies and elect a progressive governor or president and then blame that executive for not getting anything progressive done when they are having to work with a right wing legislature.

It is more than frightening how little people understand the principles of governing. I've gone door-to-door for a state legislative candidate and had people cuss me out because of a city government issue.

Part of it is the candidates fault because they don't run on issues they have any control over. Part of it has to be our civic education as well. Oklahoma Republican legislators want to add to that inadequacy because last year they passed a law that schools should no longer offer civics classes. The dumber we are the better they like it.

Nailed IT!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517020
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.