Agnostic.com

9 5

Was human consciousness a mistake? If so, would an eternity of nothingness afterlife be the true heaven? To me, an eternal sleep is the greatest hope I have of the afterlife.

HareDarwin 4 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To me, an eternal sleep is the greatest hope I have of the afterlife.

This is called death...

A happy fortuitous event for me.
I'm happy to be alive and it'll be a sad day (for me) when it ends.
But as an agnostic I have hope there's more beyond the veil. No certainty of an afterlife. I have no knowledge of that. Yet no certainty there is no afterlife, either. I'll just have to wait and see (or not see, as the case may be).

An eternal sleep? Isn't that like the American dream? Kind of like Matrix but probably with a credit card reader for payment otherwise down you go kicking and screaming into the recycling....

When the small worm like creature first acquired a light sensitive patch, attached to a nerve ganglion, and the twitch that resulted saved its life, by taking it out of the burning sun and back into the shade, was that a mistake.

While those RC nuns droned on and on about their heaven, I imagined myself watching what a future homo semi-sapiens is doing.

I think it kinda was a mistake in the sense that it caused a problem. But the problem it caused was mostly a psychological one, and psychological problems can be solved without having to resort to death.

skado Level 9 July 22, 2020

No. No. And No..

barjoe Level 9 July 22, 2020

I was kinda thinking of eating cheesecake in "heavan" That's heaven for heathens.

Cheesecake topped with strawberry cheesecake ice cream. Mm-mm good!

how could it be a mistake if there was nothing there to make it? or if there was no such thing as correct?

I'll letya no efter I'm ded.

The word "mistake" does imply intent and hints at a designer. An anomaly in the evolution of life on Earth is probable, though. We assume no other beings on this planet possess consciousness, but how do we truly know for certain?

@Allamanda I suppose that's the question. is there any objective? or what is we think of as progression/regression actually just change?

@Allamanda I have difficulty wrapping my mind around the idea that the universe is capable of accidents or achievements. it just seems that the next thing occurs based on the circumstances previous.

@Allamanda I'm trying to understand what you were saying about aims being individual relative to The evolutionary process.

@Allamanda though an accident is not intentional and of itself, it could indicate a failed effort to accomplish something different. revealing evidence of intent. yet I don't think there's any intention one way or another on the part of the universe...

@Allamanda ah...lol.... I was thinking perhaps we were arguing the same thing, but I got confused somewhere along the way which is quite common.

@Allamanda I have trouble just doing one thing at a time. 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:517614
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.