Agnostic.com

16 2

How Atheists Pray

[agnostic.com]

skado 9 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for the post.

The link was informative.

I might check out some of the groups when I'm big enough.

why

I don’t. Period.

redhog Level 7 July 24, 2020

The only answered prayers come from the great spaghetti monster in the sky.
If you don't hear him, then you are not a TRUE believer.

They don't.

Being hopeful when it's not likely while talking to yourself.

barjoe Level 9 July 24, 2020

bullshit, non believers DO NOT PRAY

I do not pray and I no longer have any magical thinking. The root of all magical thinking comes from an idea that you are important and things revolve around you. This is only so in your mind and not in the real world.

"By simulating talking to a therapist, you really get therapeutic benefits."
"Prayer is one of the ways you become godlike. It is a way of transforming your human mind into a divine mind."

I would say those extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. 😮

Nice piece. I like the detail.

redbai Level 8 July 24, 2020

WTAF?

Oxymoronic

t1nick Level 8 July 24, 2020

I avoid any religious metaphors if I can. It's hard. When people say "in my prayers" they never actually pray. If someone says "how are you?" and you actually tell them, they'll never ask that again. Figure of speech. It was that way with the deities back in Plato's day. Don't only small children actually pray to God? I can't imagine that people actually believe there really is a God but I guess some do. How silly!

barjoe Level 9 July 24, 2020

I avoid magical thinking as much as I am able to.

I guess meditation distills out the worthwhile parts of prayer from the supernatural malarkey.
Not sure contemplating the Mysterium Cosmographicum [en.wikipedia.org] is a particularly worthwhile focus of meditation. Kepler was a dude and his laws a planetary motion were spot on. The value of the platonic solids in planetary science, not so much.

That seems to an oxi-moran!

BillF Level 7 July 24, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.