Agnostic.com

3 4

LINK Split 5 to 4, Supreme Court Rejects Nevada Church’s Challenge to Shutdown Restrictions

Hang in there RBG, we desperately need to keep you on the bench. These close votes on religious issues will be at a tipping point with one more Trump appointee...

Amzungu 8 July 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

WTF are the 4 thinking about

I'm all for church/state separation, but the 'flat 50' vs 50% difference seems arbitrary to me.

@FearlessFly It's not arbitrary. If you brought a case like that to a supreme court in Europe you would lose by a 100% majority. In fact we had a case brought to the supreme court in Ireland arguing that the government had no right to restrict our movements and the Judges unaimously threw the case out and said they were just attention seekers

. . . hmmm, a 5 - 4 split, seems to me like both 'sides' are splitting hairs on this one. 😛

Very common, actually, these splits.

@AnneWimsey I'm all for church/state separation, but the 'flat 50' vs 50% difference seems arbitrary to me.

Thank goodness for Chief Justice Roberts. Far from liberal, he's just not a fascist.

barjoe Level 9 July 24, 2020

Agreed. He's been a balancing force on many of these votes.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:518448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.