Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK The ‘Judeo-Christian Tradition’ Is Over - The Atlantic

The “Judeo-Christian tradition” was one of 20th-century America’s greatest political inventions. An ecumenical marketing meme for combatting godless communism, the catchphrase long did the work of animating American conservatives in the Cold War battle. For a brief time, canny liberals also embraced the phrase as a rhetorical pathway of inclusion into postwar American democracy for Jews, Catholics, and Black Americans. In a world divided by totalitarianism abroad and racial segregation at home, the notion of a shared American religious heritage promised racial healing and national unity.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was the logical result of North American Christianity cults.

Sadly, I agree. I can remember the time when liberals and conservatives actually wanted to get together and reach productive agreements that served us all. That ended when people like Newt Gingrich, Dick Armee, Tom DeLay, and Mitch McConnell stepped into the political limelight.

I think it will take a very long time for our culture to show no evidence of the heritage. I'm not sure it will ever happen. I suspect there may be neologisms to cover up the roots of different elements in our heritage but that's probably all that will happen.

It is a fraud. Christians are usually hypocrites

and in my opinion, they are all delusional.They simply believe everything, without question, that their authority figures tell them.

@jlynn37 I agree. They believe in the supernatural and the lies of Trump.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:520986
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.