Agnostic.com

4 1

Ex Mormons?

I want to hear your story if you are Ex Mormon. I've studied Mormonism and have been to a ward once, but don't have the personal experience.

Thanks

RunnerMiler424 4 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My advice, stay away from them, my story is too long to write in one go here, but sufice to say, it is a cult that suckers you in, feeds you little lies, makes you not only accept them by commit to accepting them, so that as the lies get bigger and bigger, you feel more and more trapped by commitment, financial investment, time invested and social obligation.
Very easy to get in, very difficult to get out, mentally scaring and distructive, emotionally devastating and socially regressive.
Message me if you want to discuss it further.

I left Mormonism just over 5 years ago. I was very TBM (True Believing Mormon), served a mission, married in the temple, etc. While in general the members are wonderful people, I now look back and can see how very much of it fits in the BITE model for cults (controls on Behavior, Information, Thoughts, and Emotions). During Romney's presidential run I ran into some Mormon History information I'd never learned before on the comments on a CNN article. This caused me to dig deeper into church history, from "unapproved sources", and the whole house of cards came tumbling down.

I was raisd in a strict very conservative Mormon home.

I pretty much always had doubts, but went through the lotions to avoid the beatings i sw oen of my older brothers endure when he tried to refuse to go to church.

In my teens, i sincerely tried to gain a beliefs, as it would have made my life a lot easier as far as getting along with my family, but belief never came.

In the end I hit my parents with the double whanny of telling than that I was both gay and an theist at the same time. They seemed much more upset over the gay part.

I am still very resentful of how much time was wasted in church, and how they really warped my view of the world in general.

Thanks for sharing. I can't believe they put you through that. To me it just seems to show how Mormons are concerned with their kids/families having the same set of beliefs and being straight, not so much the love-their-kids-no-matter-what part.

Yeah. Love was definitely conditional in my family.

My PhD Advisor's PHD Advisor was a man named Glen Wade. He was a great guy. His father was a Utah Supreme Court Justice. He became a tenured professor at Stanford, Cornell, and UCSB. He was very active in the LDS church, and he never ever believed any of the Old Testament, New Testament, or Mormon nonsense was true. When he retired he sent a bunch of letters to the leadership of the Mormon church. They replied to the first few, then they realized he was a lost cause, and they stopped replying to him. He spent the last 15 or so years of his life hosting get togethers for non believers in his home.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 25, 2017

Very intriguing. Thanks for sharing. Do you think your PhD Advisor's Advisor gamed the system he was brought up in?

No, he had no financial incentive to do that. I think the Mormon church was a good way for him to keep in contact with the people and families he grew up with in Utah. He was a good friend of Mac Van Valkenburg, the Dean of Engineering at the University of Illinois. Van Valkenburg never believed a word of it either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5213
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.