Agnostic.com

7 5

A New Theory Explains How Consciousness Evolved

[theatlantic.com]evolved/485558/

skado 9 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A fascinating article. It will serve as the basis for a lot more reading.

Nice morning read to start the day. Now for more coffee. BTW the Atlantic has some wonderful articles.

I really enjoyed reading this article! Just added Michael Graziano‘s most recent book to my to-read list.

kdmom Level 6 Aug 4, 2020

I like how the article addresses both how consciousness has an intangible mysterious feel and how our resultant theory of mind misfires when attributing agency...the false positive underlying theistic religion.

The notion of reptilian wulst lays waste to Paul MacLean’s triune brain. Good riddance. For more in depth discussion of MacLean’s misguided assumption see Joe LeDoux’s The deep history of ourselves : the four-billion-year story of how we got conscious brains.

that's pretty good. hmmmm.... I've been working on a theory that it was a desire for coffee.

"If the theory is right—and that has yet to be determined"

From a scientific perspective, this is NOT a theory, but a HYPOTHESIS. 😮

How can anyone persuade others who think/say evolution is "just a theory" if the scientific use of the word is "bastardised" ?

The article sounded to me to be theorizing rather than hypothesizing.

This is the Difference Between a Hypothesis and a Theory. ... In scientific reasoning, a hypothesis is an assumption made before any research has been completed for the sake of testing. A theory on the other hand is a principle set to explain phenomena already supported by data.
Merriam-Webster › words-at-play
Hypothesis vs. Theory: The Difference Explained | Merriam ...

One way I think people bastardized the word theory is like the way people believe in the big bang theoritical myth. There is supporting data for the big bang myth but it is not absolutely certain.

@Word "not absolutely certain" -- NOTHING in science fits that category !

A 'myth' has NO (actual credible) supporting data.

The word 'believe' is fraught with 'issues' -- "I believe I'll have a cupa joe" 😛

@FearlessFly yes, people bastardized the word believe, too.

Believe verb - accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of.

"I accept as true(believe), I'll have a cupa joe".

Myth - a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, ....

The fact it is a story, is some form of data. The fact the story is told or written does not mean the story is true but nonetheless it is infact data.

Certainty (also known as epistemic certainty or objective certainty) is an epistemic property of beliefs which a person has no rational grounds for doubting.[1] One standard way of defining epistemic certainty is that a belief is certain if and only if the person holding that belief could not be mistaken in holding that belief. Other common definitions of certainty involve the indubitable nature of such beliefs or define certainty as a property of those beliefs with the greatest possible justification. Certainty is closely related to knowledge, although contemporary philosophers tend to treat knowledge as having lower requirements than certainty.[1] wikipedia

Science comes from meaning a way of knowing.

Certainty is closely related to knowledge,

Can you absolutely know knowledge by some way, science?

@Word I would say that calling a story/myth in-and-of itself 'data' a bastardization of the word data.

"knowledge" and "certainty" are historic/current philosophical 'discussions'. Here is a good course (available in my library) on that and related 'issues' (especially in science) :

[thegreatcourses.com]

@FearlessFly data is defined as: facts and statistics collected together for reference or analysis.

A story is information (synonymous with data) that is collected together for reference and can be analyzed.

Data is information. Information is knowledge. The stories are purported to be things known of the authors knowledge of something you call myth.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521369
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.