Agnostic.com

6 4

0.008% of entire world population has died from this. US has 170k deaths (almost) which sucks but if you divide that by total population (328M) and then try and consider the actual numbers of deaths each year from CANCER.
This seems tiny. 0.051% have died from this in the US. Many suggest we can expect that 1 out of 2 can expect to get cancer and of those 1 out of 2 die. So like 25%. We feed our kids shit food. Give them crap pills. Drink crappy GMO milk sludge and we wonder.
WE send them off to public schools that continue to educate to the drum beat. Everything is fine. Go to college. Work..work...work. Don't stop and think. Give no one time to contemplate the nature of their own being.
Most don't. Most rather just have fun and fit in. I need to vent before my head explodes.

kellymkg 5 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kelly, please let others do the math. The way you related those numbers are extremely misleading. Fernapple and Barjoe did a decent job sorting through the miscalculations and inaccurate correlations.

I can understand how a lot of people want to be supportive of this comment due to it's political message. For them, please don't let your desire to agree with a political commentary cloud your judgment. This is an example of how insidious misinformation is. It can start with people who are your friends.

It bares repeating for those sorting by Newest...

Glad to see another Green truth teller ....the blueREDS redBLUES duopoly is killing us only WWW.HOWIEHAWKINS.US will solve the problems peace through Green jobs pure water clean air organic food safe housing free healthcare by nationalizing all hospitals eliminating profiteering insurance scams SAVING MONEY not costing more money like BidenS and TrumpOLINI ARE THE PROBLEM vote them out Lisa Savage in Maine US SENATOR MADELYN HOFFMAN New Jersey US Senator and LibertarianS are worse ending what few good regulations there are remaining to slow down polluters

You're citing cancer stats probability of occurring in a lifetime window. Conflating that to stats that are incomplete, certain to increase geometrically at the end of the event. So your attempt to diminish the significance of the pandemic, which in a short period of time will kill .1% of a population of 320 million. That's a quite likely figure in the end of 320K people. Perhaps 10 million survivors many of whom could have long term consequences which could affect their life expectancy. Realize the timeframe for these losses would be around 1 year. I find your argument to be woefully wrong. The fact that this is not an extinction event doesn't diminish. Our response to it, or lack of response of a future, far worse pandemic could be that extinction. The fact that United States response had left us with astronomical numbers in contrast to other countries should be frightening to any objective observer. It exposes a horrendous job by our central government to whom blame should lie wholly on this terrible outcome. Ultimately it's in the eye of the beholder who the subject is that's intimately responsible here. We know where the buck stops.

Basically I agree with you, and certainly modern life is on the whole a vastly greater threat to human health overall than the virus. Though it could be said that the virus is a creation of modern lifestyles as well. Since it is clearly only a problem because, we have massive over population, over crowded cities, and far too fast a transport systems, especially air travel.

Though it could be said figures in that sense are a little misleading, since the cancer deaths of twenty five percent, are spread over a whole lifetime, say an average of fifty years, ( its more than that, but lets err on the short side,) as opposed to five months. You would therefore have to multiply by at least 120, to get a true comparison. Point five times one hundred and twenty equals sixty percent, which would make the virus two and a half times more deadly than cancer, if it continued at its present rate. Though that does not take into account herd immunity, bringing with it the possibility that survivors would have milder symptoms and be less likely to die if reinfected. Assuming that there is long term immunity, which we don't know yet.

However the cancer levels, if quoted in this way, are based on the assumption that all cancers are caused by modern lifestyle, which is almost certainly not true, since cancer was a major killer even in the deep past, and a lot of the increase in cancer today is probably due to the fact that we live longer and survive many other diseases which would have formerly killed us, so it would be correct to only take a percentage of the overall cancer figures. Its probably a lot more complicated than that, but that is just a quick way to look at the problems of making the comparison.

Insightful as always!

@Barnie2years Thank you.

I’m open to venting… I think we’re all noticing how few this virus is actually taking out, unless it’s a parent or grandparent.. So far, it appears far less virulent than the pandemic of a century ago. Should we ignore it? ..let it continue to take out the morbidly obease, agid, or immunocompromised..? I suppose here in the USA, we’re doing just that..

Hey, you don’t need school, or college. You can live in the hills with almost no education. No joke, I’m surrounded by them. Develop a ‘handyman skill,’ or learn some basic trade, get on with someone willing to teach you how to repair stuff that’s gonna be around awhile. If you can read, you might even pass a certification test of sorts. But plan to prettymuch do that for the rest of your life.. No shame.

Please don’t resent those having sought more, though. The ones designing ‘the stuff’ that’ll help extend your life or repair you after the accident.. Or, keep your teeth in working order… College is too expensive, and overrated, to me.. My ‘kids’ thought differently … one’s now making seven times as much as I am… Your choice.

The meme seems more a word game than worthwhile ..advice, or, all that thought provoking.. ‘America’ is a hodgepodge of various generations having fled their nations of birth in order to consume and compete for the seemingly endless resources of a ‘virgin contenant.’ With those resources nearly gone, it’s become a hodgepodge of angry, competitive, poorly regulated or restrained individuals in need of becoming one nation, period

Varn Level 8 Aug 5, 2020

Serious truth spoken there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521694
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.