Agnostic.com

2 1

75 years since the Atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. The reasons and the immediate political outcomes of this event are debated, but it's effects on warfare and later geopolitics is hard to miss. Out of the scientific quest that lead to this terrible weapon, several other life saving inventions arose. I do not think they anyhow compensate for the human tragedy unfolded by the invention of the bombs - certain knowledge that actions of some humans could practically destroy humanity in seconds. May we never have to see an atomic bomb deployed again!

Spongebob 7 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With Trumps' finger on the button, it could happen tomorrow 😮

When I rank presidents, the dropping of bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki keep Truman out of the top 5. Many people say it saved lives but truth be told , Japan was prepare to surrender to USSR. The United States wouldn't have that. That was the motivation to drop the bomb. The Cold War was orchestrated before WWII even ended.

It is such a twist of fate that Truman, of all the presidents, had to make this call. I believe he was a good man and took the best decision he could with the intelligence that was supplied to him.

@Spongebob I believe he was pressured not to let Japan surrender to Stalin. Once USSR declared war on Japan they knew it was over. Japan wanted to save face by signing Potsdam with Russia. Joint Chiefs feared post war Japan would be Communist. They urged Truman to use the bomb. They had planned to drop a third bomb larger bomb if Japan hadn't surrendered when they did.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:521943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.