Agnostic.com

8 9

This could be one of the most important inventions ever - [nature.com]

Graphene Filtration: A Revolution In Desalination Technology!

Published on August 6, 2020
Written by Learn Engineering

Recently, a group of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology researchers made a major breakthrough in the graphene based desalination process. They were able to remove 97% of common salts in an energy efficient way.

The current reverse osmosis desalination technology is energy intensive, and desalination plants’ capital costs are high.

By the year 2025, 14% of the world’s population will experience water scarcity, which makes this discovery very important. Moreover, graphene-based filtration technology could come to your kitchen very soon.

Allamanda 8 Aug 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So more techno magic to distract us from the real issue at hand - too much demand. Until we understand the idea of limits we will always be playing catch-up.

@Allamanda Sorry, but each to his/her own opinion. We have circled this area before but as long as we keep looking for others to 'fix' the problems we have caused we will continually prove Thomas Malthus right. Often, it is said, an addict has to hit bottom before they can recover. Right now, with the pandemic, we are hitting bottom so it is time to change our ways. As a big follower of the 'Trolley Problem' morality I would suggest by helping some today we will face the same problem albeit on a much larger scale tomorrow. I had a couple of visitors in my back yard this afternoon (deer). This year there have been a lot more young deer on the scene. The deer have gotten especially desperate for food and often put themselves in harms way. There are no predators here and culling is restricted (except by cars) so they do what all, unthinking, life do and, in the end, more are suffering and dying of starvation.

@Allamanda I agree but will it do it fast enough and, more importantly, will people be doing it to those ends? Before any real progress can be made in this direction people have to be informed and understand how critical this issue is to the survival and well being of the future generations. Do we want to continue trying to survive from one pandemic and war to another or take matters more peacefully in our own hands?!

@Allamanda In my mind, no. But, again, we have talked about communication not being an exact science. Maybe if I had spent some time to reassess my responses perhaps they would be worded differently but the basic thought, to me, is still there.

Sounds interesting...

Excellent chance

Thank you for a hopeful post. I needed something like this today.Now if we can just keep them from further polluting the oceans.

Maybe, but a big problem with desalinization is that every gallon of clean water produces a gallon and a half of polluted water. I couldn't find any mention if this method addresses that ugly problem.

@Allamanda Chlorine and copper. This method might do away with the copper, but there's still the chlorine to dispose of.

@Allamanda The chlorine is in the salt water to begin with, that's what desalinization does, removes the salt.

@Allamanda You don't get salt, you get briny water. Maybe this method somehow avoids that problem, I don't know. Look it up, it's a quietly ignored problem with current desalinization plants, they just quietly dump the brine back in the ocean where it very definitely is harmful to the local ecology.

. . . from 2017

[nature.com]

Could be boon to Earth and humanity, but can it be produced en masse and inexpensively? Will the patent holder make it too expensive, from greed?

That could be a boon to California.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:522049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.