Agnostic.com

49 12

What wrong assumptions do people frequently make of you?

People often think I'm stuck up because I'm quiet.

Mea 7 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

49 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The best one was that my faith was very important to me!!!!! I can only think I either have a doppleganger or I stepped into a parrallel universe at some point. Either way I did, politely, correct her on this matter 🙂

Thank you! I hate the fact that because I'm white and male with a military haircut that people assume I'm a conservative, christian, Republican. That is SOOOO. The opposite. On all 3 counts. LOL

That im some kind of thug who doesn't care about anything because I have so many tattoos and I don't conform.

Conforming is boring.

you bet it is

People think I am stuck up, because I am quiet as well. They also think I am much younger than I am. I am frequently thought to be in my 20's when I am in my 40's. Then when I tell them that I have children who are in their 20's or nearly in their 20's they think I am lying or that I was very young when I had them.

Most people are afraid of me because I have a natural grimace face.
I also stare alot so most females get nervous around me.

They think that I am not very bright - I am fairly shy especially around strong confident people -

They think that I am a pushover and many times I am as I am one of the youngest at 70y.o. in my sheltered housing association .

I do have in fact three advanced degrees Soc psych, Fine and Applied Art, Art History and armfuls of advanced diplomas plus being the first woman plasterer in England and a Lecturer in Person Centred Counselling and a founder member of Person Centred Creative Expresive Therapy Institute in England - They don't know that I went to a free school, never did any maths and can't handle figures to save my life 'Discalculia' (and I won't be telling them any of this )

After a good think, I haven't a clue.

I have no idea what assumptions people have about me, becuase they don't tell me, so how am l supposed to know?

Devishly handsome and confident

Blushes

For some reason, I have a very posh accent. Based on it, people tend to assume I'm going to be extremely snobbish.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

For nurses week my new supervisor bought me a realtree camouflage lunch box. Anyone that actually knows me knows that something like that is 4 light years away from anything i would actually like. I still use it though because it's the thought that counts.

nice

That I am always angry and scary when in fact if we are friends, I will always stand right next to you if need be.

That I’m a ho because I pole dance (for fitness). I’ve been married to the same man for 20 years, but, yeah, I’m a ho.

Even if you weren't married to the same man for the last 20 years, calling you names would be wrong. What someone else does with their body in their free time is their business!

@Mea I agree! ❤️

@FortyTwo that’s just mean! ?. It hurts!

You're definitely fit. ?

People think ( mostly men) because I have large breasts and I enjoy sex that I am stupid and a slut.

Ugh.

You can't fix stupid. I'm sorry to hear that happens to you.

That I'm unfriendly because of my grouchy-looking neutral face, mainly.

I am quiet and uncomfortable in social situations. People mistake that for arrogant. Go figure.

I keep getting advice lately that I need to learn to love myself. I’m coming out of a long bout of depression and felt pretty useless for a time but that’s different. I think too that when people hear that I had suicidal ideations they assume that I don’t like myself. Those thoughts were about wanting to leave the pain of depression not because I don’t care about myself. Suicide is, generally speaking, a selfish act. You don’t do something selfish if you don’t care about yourself. I don’t post a lot of selfies on social media or brag on myself much but I do love and care for myself a great deal. Enough not to care what anyone else thinks about me because I’m confident in who I am. It’s just a bit annoying to hear advice based on wrong assumptions by multiple people.

Have you tried psilocybin?

@Phyphrus I have tried several different hallucinogens including psilocybin. Unfortunately, I did not have access to any during my recent depression. And while they have helped in the past with situational depression I suffer from a chemical imbalance that’s genetic. Medication does the job but I was in financial hard times and didn’t have access to those either. ?

Some people think that I'm indifferent because I doubt the core of my Christian upbringing. That I'm an Atheist but they don't understand and don't want to understand that I'm only Agnostic.

Gert Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

Being blonde people don't realize I am intelligent.

Same, I'm pretty quiet but used to be even more so. People often assumed I was a snob because I wasn't outgoing or constantly smiling.

Ohh, that's the worst. Like really? Do I have to look happy all the time? Is anyone so insecure that if I take a break from smiling it's automatically their fault?

@Phyphrus The worst is when you're just minding your own business and someone assumes you're in a bad mood or mean because of resting bitch face.

@WickedNicki I can handle resting bitch face. That usually clears up as soon as you get people talking. I just can't stand how everyone thinks the world revolves around them. Like if you happen to be in a bad mood and minding your own business, a bystander assumes it's about them. Its self-involved ?

That I am unintelligent, not to be taken seriously, and into very casual sex.

Zster Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

That I am a Bigger Asshole than I really am. Those who don't think I am one, I may one day prove them wrong. I am a very Simple, Complicated Man without a Master or Mistress and that much Freedom leads to a lot of Misinterpretation.

In person people assume that I'm an extrovert. I'm actually VERY introverted and quite shy. I will admit that I hide it well. Online dating? Women assume that I'm a he-whore. Yea you read that right. A man slut... No I do not want to scratch your "itch" thank you very much. I'm actually looking for a meaningful connection. Why is that so hard people??? Lol ( I'm laughing but I'm so serious right now....)

they are projecting

@btroje forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by projecting?

@Tutankhamun putting their thought on you. Thinking you are a slut when it may be them

@btroje I see. It's frustrating none the less

Sometimes people assume that I am Canadian, American, Australian, Dutch, Eastern European. Often they give up on trying to guess my country of birth. Also, they assume that I am soft touch until they feel that they have been hit on the head with a gold brick.

OMG so funny and for me so relate-able. I grew up in Australia, with English friends and have lived all over the United States over the last 30 years and people just have a hell of a time trying to figure out where I come from! It cracks me up.

I have the opposite problem. I have to open my mouth. Most people assume I believe the things I say, but I will take a stance I don't agree with for the sake of a thought experiment.
I don't bulletproof my wording, and people take things I say and warp them into something I didn't say, almost like it's on purpose ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.