Agnostic.com

6 7

Now I am in an uncomfortable place. My former son-in-law, addict, gangster, devout catholic, and father to an incredible young man, is dying of terminal liver cancer and is now leaning on me.
He is at the end of the line, maybe a few more weeks of pain and suffering. He now texts me daily for support. He is also the one who robbed my house when he was still using it. I did not have him arrested nor treated him badly afterwards. As with most addicts, his body is now giving up and he will die soon. I told him that his life is his and that we were not born to suffer.
It is an incredible burden on my peace of mind. I am doing it for him, for my grandson and for me.
Every man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind. John Donne

Spinliesel 9 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think you are acting in a very magnanimous and understanding manner towards this man. It speaks to your character and generosity of spirit, and a wonderful example to your grandson, who will soon lose his father. You and your grandson will be able to lean on each other and gain the strength needed to get his father through this tough time. Together you will be there for him and afterwards will have the peace of mind of knowing you did the right thing for him. My thoughts and good wishes go out to you Antje, I’m sure your grandson must love and look up to you very much.

Do whatever you can to preserve your peace of mind. You owe that to yourself and your grandson. You did all you could for the son-in-law when it mattered. Don't let him drag you down with him.
Rather than focusing on every man's death, zone in on your grandson's life. He needs your support right now. Good luck.

I have trouble understanding the compassion you're showing him. You certainly don't owe him anything. Unless there is an afterlife your investment in him will certainly be wasted. The only benefit I can see is: when he is gone, at least you can feel that you behaved with great honor and compassion.

I think that what you do or have done is a reflection of you and what he does or has done is a reflection of him. To act in response to his actions would make you nothing more than a puppet. I'm impressed with your humanity.

I am so sorry you're going through this, @Spinliesel. In an intensely awful situation, he is fortunate to have you as a support system, and you're very good to be providing it. What an incredible gift you're giving your grandson.

He's you're grandson's father. If the kid's young you could lie to him about what a derelict he dad was. I hope he goes peacefully.

The best day ever for my 3-year old daughter, unbeknownst to her, was the day her dad died in (yet another, drunken) car wreck because then I never had to explain why he never called, visited, or remembered her birthday, Xmas, etc....
Silver linings!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523497
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.