Agnostic.com

5 2

Yet another clear-eyed viewer, from Australia via a Russian writer... The fall of America. [canberratimes.com.au]

Allamanda 8 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Saddening😳

Every Point made in this article is Valid. I can't disagree with any of it

Thanks for the reminder. Heard an interview on NPR this morning and I will post it as it follows this line.

Another viewer. From down under, si. Clear-eyed? Nyet! Nein! Not. Pessimistic? Da, ja. Yes.

Collapse is slow, from government by the rich and well-born as Hamilton said in the Secret Plot of 1787 with the opulent minority protected from the majority as Madison said. The plot was secret because for fifty years Madison’s notes were known only to the plotters and their allies.

Collapse is spasmodic, with an economic recession or depression every seven or eight years with the miscreants bailed out by the governed without the consent of the governed.

Collapse is inevitable as enlightened state voters protect themselves from their elected predators with the direct initiative, referendum and recall.

I’ll leave further analysis of the Aussie’s efforts to others.

The United States isn't going anywhere. I wish our political system would be changed dramatically but it won't. Our government is more entrenched that that of Australia. Not by any means better, just here to stay. There's a better chance that Australia collapses than the United States.

@Allamanda I wish I were wrong. America controls the world economy. Politically we're broken. USSR went bankrupt. If they hadn't, they'd still be an entity. Russian Federation is less of a military superpower but just as dangerous a political power.

"There's a better chance that Australia collapses than the United States."
Where is the logic in that statement. Australia does not have Gerrymandering. Does not have Polarised Politics. Has a progressive tax system that transfers wealth from the Rich to the poor. Has a social security system that is better than most first world countries. Is tolerant and socially liberal across all political classes. Has legislated gun controls that have stopped school shootings. America is just Bigger. That does not means it cannot fall as an empire.

Lets look at your assumption that America controls the world economy.
The biggest economic unit in the World NOW is not America but is the EU with 500 million people in a single trade market. And in 10 years time America will be number 3 in the world after Europe and China.
Europeans save 15% of their incomes and US citizens save 3% of their income and that results in the following. 30% of the US stock market is owned by European investment funds. 7% of the US stock market is owned by Saudi Arabia. 43% of Manhatten real estate is owned by European investment funds. If you pay rent in the Chrysler Building it goes to an Italian Property company. And all the large companies on the DOW JONES and the Nasdaq are Multinationals now with no allegance to the US. Most of their business is now done outside of the US. OH and bye the way, You own China Billions of Dollars in treasury loans. And US infrastucture is so bad compared to China and Europe. Especially Europe. And China uses more concrete to build infrastructure in 3 days that the US uses in a whole year. America is sleep walking while the wrest of the world advances. And America is blind to this. It's delusions about itself are it's greatest weakness.

@dermot235 Because America is the most powerful country in the world. EU is multiple countries. US is a single entity, with the default currency for the planet. The Euro won't replace it. No delusions. Maybe by the end of the century, there could be a change in system of government. The one thing I fear is it could slowly become a totalitarian state, but as far as the overthrow of the American Government? Not in our lifetime. The US will be here for the TriCentennial. No delusion.

@barjoe This is where America deludes itself. It can't see that China and Europe are playing a LONG game. The US used to play the long game but has stopped doing this since Bush 2. The Euro is part of that long game and the European Central Bank (Equivalent to your FED) has more financial power than the Fed has. The US government borrows money at 1% which is a really low interest rate. Governments in Europe can borrow at lower rates than that. Germany borrows at -0.5%. Ireland Borrows at 0.4%. The financial markets have already decided that the Euro is a safer bet than the US dollar. So I would not be to complacent about the US being the Number one Economic Superpower. That may be the case now but it may end sooner than you think. Hubris and arrogance may be the downfall of America.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523625
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.