Agnostic.com

8 4

If you had your choice between going to see some really famous singer and a great small venue local concert, which would you choose?

I have seen only about 6 or 7 big concerts and I'd rather listen to a recording than go to an arena for thousands of people any day.I'm spoiled by smaller venues. I'm positive the only difference between many big stars and some local talent is the price of the ticket and luck.

Lorajay 9 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nowadays? Neither x 10!

If in a way-back machine, it would greatly depend on the choice of performer(s) I was given. Certain groups, like Queen or Earth Wind & Fire, IMO are better in a huge venue.

I've never been big on concerts so I'd likely choose to just stay in either way.

AmyLF Level 7 Aug 14, 2020

Small local concert every time. In our local town there is a club who meet in a room above the library, they often have really quite good performers, mainly classical, some jazz, folk and other types, you pay for it with a donation, or by buying a coffee/tea with a light cheese salad lunch before it starts, (no eating in the concert.) I am often amazed at the quality of the artists they get on their budget, though they pay nothing for the room.

The intimacy of a small room, where you are close enough to see the artists fingers is always magic. I went to a small nightclub fado concert, last time I was in Portugal, wonderful, for exactly the same reason.

The singers I would have paid to see are all dead . Wouldn’t pay a nickel to see any singers of today.

Same here.

A local group The Fabulous Armadillos cover everyone. At a small venue in St. Cloud MN, their concerts each have a theme, usually one group/artist.

. . . note the lead guitar and the Braille

I went to many concerts when I was a kid. Back then it was pretty cheap to get tickets. We could smoke weed in the venue. Today going to see a name act is at least $100/ticket, I can't justify that expense. I can walk from my house to several small venues, see indie label bands, usually $5 or $10 cover, so yes it's a no brainer. I went to see Springsteen for free, Hillary rally in Philly. Just prior to the election meltdown. That's the last name act I've seen.

I immensely enjoy both. But to answer your question, I would probably choose the small, intimate venue. When I lived in NYC I would wander to Greenwich Village to a bar called The Corner, where an elderly blind pianist named Lance Hayward would play to a mostly empty room. I have great memories of those evenings.

Sounds like heaven, I love a jazz piano.

@Lorajay thank you for posting this recording ❤️ Sitting alone in a bar watching and listening to Lance was indeed heavenly. It was decades ago, and still I remember and smile at those memories.

These days I'd prolly stay home. 🙂

(but otherwise, I agree with you)

skado Level 9 Aug 11, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:523689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.