Agnostic.com

46 25

How many people feel they live in the wrong part of the country to meet like-minded people?

I don’t meet many people who are atheists or non-religious where I live. Do a lot of you feel like you’re in the wrong city or state? Just curious.

Hermbro 4 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wrong country. Wrong planet

Dude I live in North Georgia where they handle snakes and some churches drag people up to the front of church to get saved whether you want to or not

I apparently live in one of the most conservative counties in one of the most conservative states in the country. However, I work with a lot of Trump haters and my neighbors on either side of me also despise the man. Atheists are a little harder to find, but maybe they're quiet about it like I am.

dkp93 Level 8 Aug 12, 2020

Yep. I'm a liberal atheist living in the Bible Belt. Ugh. 🙄

The bible belt... oh my. That's intense

Same here. I'm in Cajun country, around the swamps of south Louisiana. I've been struggling to find the right career opportunity so that I can move to a large metropolitan area for years, but I've been feeling stuck here for decades.

Just be who you are......if no one likes it screw em’. It’s better to be hated for who you are than to be liked for what your not.

There's a lot of us out there but not enough in a single place. Hence agnostic.com

In this part of Texas it is not a real problem. Austin and the surrounding area has been liberal or a good mix of liberal since the 70s.

This would not be in Australia, most people could not care less if you are religious or not, actually they would be rather put out if you tried to “force” any kind of religion down their throats.

sounds lovely !

My problem is that I ‘live in the country’... When I visit cities, I’ll often pick up on their healthy disrespect for religion. Back home in the hills ..ignorance as usual.

Varn Level 8 Aug 12, 2020

I find that rural, country people are more religious than others.

I'm surrounded by Mormons. I live in Idaho. At least we have Idaho State University to provide more open mindedness in my town.

Alas. I'm surrounded by Morons too. The Sheriff of my county just ordered his deputies NOT to wear face masks. This, after a Sheriff's teleconference with Donald J Dumb Dumb!

@davknight I just read that. The stupid hurts. The same people who give tickets for not wearing a seat belt refuse to wear a mask.

You can be lonely anywhere. Typically people looking for like-minded people are well educated.
Anyone can educate themselves.
On average consider how that goes over in a relationship, you know you know something, while everyone else has a biased opinion.
This can happen in downtown LA just as easy as a farmhouse in Alabama.
That's why it's great to spend time in an academic setting but if you're from humble beginnings surrounded by people proud of how ignorant they are you'll have enough empathy to project your attitude about uneducated people onto people that you know for a fact know more than you, it's a built in psychological trap that explains really smart blue collar workers that despise academics.
The secret is to understand where people are coming from, and study them, all of them, like lab mice you don't want to frighten off. Soon you'll know the expression to use to put them at easy, you'll relate to their situation.
Without this interplay, there's nothing but loneliness in the world and that's not healthy because we only survived as a species because we're social animals. All of this is a big deal.

@SanDiegoAirport I can delete my comments too you little troll.

This is an excellent example of crappy behavior. SanDiegoAirport commented on my post using transphobic language. I gave him the benefit of the doubt thinking he's just ignorant and explained nicely without correcting him the point of his comment, maybe to nicely, then he deleted his comment and commented in a way that made it sound as if I was interested in him.
My reply to this demonstrates drawing boundaries and taking no crap.
Thus endeth the lesson.

@Willow_Wisp He's one of those who causes a problem on most threads. I've seen other peopke take him to task. His day will come.

I used to live in Western Washington state. That is where I truly understood what it meant to be a liberal, and that my (now ex) husband and I were not on the same page. I became an atheist after our divorce and when I really saw how the church treated mature single women. Getting away from the church let me take a step back and look at what they teach and how it is taught. They put their money on future xians, those who can't produce future xians aren't wanted. I ended up in a conservative xian bastion as a single liberal atheist. However, we do have a local AHA group, and a group dedicated to REASON. Before COVID, the community was pretty active for as small as we are. It could be worse, I guess. I could have been in one of the smaller more remote, more conservative towns. Naaahhh, Omaha is as small as I was willing to go.

In some ways, but I'm in a time of my life that it's also hard to find a contemporary.

After I have lived and worked from coast to coast it seems everywhere can and will be the wrong place!!!

I don't think there's a right city or state. 70+% of the country believes in angels.

Totally. I am in a great location for finding uber religious, Trump voting conservatives. Have to hide my progressiveness. Sigh.

Zster Level 8 Aug 12, 2020

You and me both.

I live in a blood red part of Arizona. It's interesting. Right now I know no one who is atheist that lives here. I do have interesting conversation though. My daughter in now in Phoenix so I only have her on the phone or when she visits. There are other things I like here though and wouldn't trade the climate for the heat in the valley to meet more like minded people so I make the best of it.

gearl Level 8 Aug 12, 2020

@SanDiegoAirport Not expensive here. That's a reason we live here. Of course wages aren't that high either.

I'm in Atlanta, which, although metropolitan, is still surrounded by jeebus-loving hillbillies.

I just hope I don't have to put up with Marjorie Greene for more than 2 years.

I live in the religious, conservative area of Pennsylvania. I've met like minded people, but most are a lot younger.

JimG Level 8 Aug 12, 2020

@Fred_Snerd Wiser? Not really, more open-minded, and more tolerant, but youth is youth. They are more informed though, and hopefully less gullible than most previous generations.

Wrong state? Try wrong country.

To many liberals here in NYC .It is not the religious individuals destroying NYC .I have no problem living amongst religious believers even though I am a nonbeliever.

That’s how I feel

I’m thankful I live here in Oklahoma where there are a lot of conservative religious people even though I disagree with them about their religion.

I considered myself , "normal ." I would have thought , with the world full of billions of people , that it would have been easy to meet someone suitable . Boy , was I wrong .

I live in sunny, gorgeous, rural North Central Washington. Here's my joke about single, local men:

If I wanted a fat, sloppy, good ol' boy, Republican, Christian, tobacco chawin' fisherman and hunter with a long, unkempt beard who loves his Harley, snowmobile and chainsaw and decorates with antlers, I'd be ALL SET.

That's why I date men from Seattle who love hiking. The majority are Democrats, college educated and more health conscious and fit.

It could be worse. You could be surrounded by a bunch of Bears, with long, unkempt fur, yellow teefs, bad breff, and fat tummies, who worship the trees they clean their butts on, love to dumpster-dive, and decorate with scratch marks, piles of bear scat, old peanut butter jars, and empty Doritos bags!

Yea, I feel that way. I would like to move out of Georgia someday but doubt I ever will, largely due to financial reasons. Not even sure where I'd like to go since I don't like snow and I don't think I could take any more humidity.

IS there more humidity anywhere? (I swear, I can swim in the air here in Athens).

@Zster Interestingly enough, when I visit south TX fairly near to the coast and definitely with higher humidity, I feel as though I can take it better.

I Don’t need to meet like-minded people in regards to the god thing .Belief or no belief in a God Don’t mean shit to me .I am an atheist but there is way more important things about people I’m interested in or care about.

Excellent point of view.I agree . Some atheists,agnostics or whatever are to fanatical about this aspect of their lives which intern limits their interaction or association with believers and in some situations they exhibit hatred and hostility especially on this site.

For me the wrong planet would be a more appropriate question.

fedup Level 6 Aug 14, 2020
Write Comment More
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524086
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.