Agnostic.com

17 9

This is an article posted on slug.co, admin's other website. I have to admit that I did not read the entire thing as it went on and on about wokeism. I think it is bizarre for a couple of reasons. I think concept of "woke" is ridiculous and is not widely accepted outside of the Christian right community. I could be wrong about this, but I have never, ever, heard anyone other than a Christian rightist refer to themselves as "woke". So why did he spend so much time and energy on this?
[slug.com]

itsmedammit 8 Aug 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Frankly I have agreed with a few scattered WOKE word useage usually posted by peace people calling for an end to USA illegal wars in 160 countries since 1946....... as for cult useage I condemn cults of all kinds....asleep sheeple waking up to fascism or bible theocrats taking over schools/home schooling creationists

Suddenly feeling vindicated for my initial skepticism... [agnostic.com]

It seems like both this and slug.com share infrastructure and my guess is any popular alt-right site is going to be subject to hostile attack and hacking attempts sooner or later. If that happens then due to the shared infrastructure or hosting accounts this site will quite possibly be compromised along with it.

My biggest concern is all the people who have used this site as a dating service at one point (or still are) and have all kinds of personal info on it. While everything we ever post here is public - no login is required to read posts, it's an open forum like Reddit - do not assume anything you have ever messaged privately, or put in your profile that isn't public here is secure either. It's not even safe to assume deleting your account does anything either.

I had expressed similar concerns when I started but stuck around. I don't know what the intended purpose of the site is, but I don't worry too much about the information I post here anymore than what I post elsewhere. My assumption is that nothing is private.

@itsmedammit that's definitely a good strategy on any site these days.

I'm just finding out about the slug website and took a couple of days to process all of this. The slug website just looks like a way to capitalize on the current political zeitgeist and yes -- it does look like a nod to the right to me.

I feel naive. I honestly thought agnostic.com was some left-winger's non-profit that would lift up the non-religious community. Um, no. This site has to be a money-maker for someone somehow. Or maybe, I just never fully grasped the concept that conservatives can be agnostic too.

Actually, it feels like someone got paid to make agnostic.com from a noble ngo/donor. Ok cool. Then the developer realized they could take the same source code and use it to make a living in the hands of evil. We all have to pay our bills. I guess I can't judge.

This whole thing is surprising. I somehow feel less safe about Agnostic.com. That other website seems to be not just a nod to the right, but a festering hate camp. I admit that I did not go in beyond the article, but just looking at the group titles and punching fist logo was enough to give me a bad impression. Makes me think of those guys who made tons of money using sensationalized websites, both pro and con whatever.

Admin may have a point about right wingers being less tolerated here. IRL I have seen Republican Atheists feeling uncomfortable and unwelcome simply because there is often an assumption that every Atheist is left. I imagine it must often feel similar to how I feel when people assume I must belong to a church. lol AFAIAC, belief and politics are two separate spheres. Someone here once blocked me for having the audacity to state just that. She ranted and practically called me a racist whatever.

However, I do not think it is my imagination that I see more vitriol coming from the right. Maybe it has to do with the skewed numbers.
I dunno. I have seen bad behavior on both sides and have been dismayed. I have dealt with it by avoiding much political debate. Granted, we are in a unique time in history, so it is difficult to always avoid.

Like you, I take a little time to digest. A number of others have reacted more quickly and already have jumped ship. Their absence is a bit glaring. I am sad for the disruption and for the loss of what we had.

More troubling are the lack of transparency and the manipulations.

The first time I heard it was in Childish Gambino's Redbone.

I think it comes from several African American sources from news articles to plays to music, most recently by Erykah Badu in 2008 in her music; she later popularized #staywoke on twitter in 2012.

Not sure about how you thought it was a rightwing christian thing...oh, wait am I being trolled? 🙂

That has just been my observation. As it was pointed out, young SJWs also use it. Personally, I don't hear the term used with them but I see the same attitude. They like to think they are the only ones with a clue.

Guess I don’t fit … Straight-up Born-once Atheist 🙂 That’s OK.. I still appreciate the platform, and opportunity to have virtually met ..most of you.

Reading to the ‘Woke’ part, which I’ve never knowingly heard of.. ..the rest sounded reasonable, if familiar. I’d try to attend an event our ‘Admin’ held, and appreciate the concept of advancing both human and civil discourse..

Having witnessed the same as ‘he’ around here … and recently considering another hiatus ..due to ‘the uglies’ too often stirring our puddle.. For the most part, I’ve appreciated the opportunity to share and learn ~

Varn Level 8 Aug 14, 2020

Have you considered whether "Admin" has another member account here?

Would not doubt it.

@itsmedammit Wouldn't he have had to, to have engaged us as he claims to have done in his "article"? He could not have done so objectively as "Admin".

I have observed some of this back and forth. I did not come here to rant about 45. Admin sounds like he wants us all to be 45 lovers. If you had continued to read you would have found admin actually wrote "Q: What if I showed you evidence that the “Mexicans are rapists” (“were good people” ) statement was taken out of context?" Context is what the religious try to use for why the bible is accurate! I'm apparently one he considers "woke" because I'm a proud SJW!

That article is pure bigotry.

The admin needs some psychiatric help. He's gone off the deep end.

Beware, you may be purged.

@Beowulfsfriend uuuummmm, what?

Woke is slang colloquialism and has nothing to do with Christianity. Youre the first person ive ever seen even suggest that connection.

Ive seen the term used mostly among conspiracy theorists.

It means you put information together outside of the way mainstream media and typical in the box thinkers, do. Not sure whats ridiculous about a simple phrase?

Most people ive seen use the term have been weirdos, though.

SCal Level 7 Aug 14, 2020

You are right, that it is popular with weirdos. I guess the ones I have seen have been also Christian.

How is it that so many people who are obviously on the internet a lot all so adamantly sure of such polar opposite definitions of 'woke'? This the the most confusing thing I've encountered on agnostic.com since joining years ago.

Damn, I've been here a couple of years now....did I miss something? Like maybe 10,000 conversations that I really did not have time for anyway?

I mean, besides Frank and his sly, silly accusations about some kind of shit that Atheists are believers in gods, It's been smooth sailing for me.

This "admin" guy must have a FaceBook guilt ridden conscience if this is what he sees here.

To each their own.....wow I hope that didn't start kind of fight in "admin's" head

twill Level 7 Aug 14, 2020

Sorry if we "woke" you. lol

@itsmedammit I'm awoken to the to the fact that if you get 100 (or 10000 !) American people of the same stripe, whether it be agnostic, religious, 2A , sports fans.....whatever, you'll get the same behavior out of the same % of them. That this "admin" actually wrote this very long article on something that any thinking adult knows.....

The urge to categorize is overwhelming for some people, they are helpless in the face of it. For them the world has to be Black & white; Labeled A&B, left or right and numbered 1- 2, maybe on a rare occasion, 3.
Then we wonder how religion slithered onto humanity? I just told you how

@twill Yup, far as I can tell, people are people.

Sounds to me like something Donald would preach.

You seem to connect everything to the donald.

Im not sure this is healthy for your mental capacity and well being as a human animal.

There is an entire cosmos that exists outside of the myopic american two party system paradigm.

The matrix seems to have your mind. Not sure you don't love this prison for your mind, though.

@SCal Hi there. Well If I do Love this prison then everything is just fine.

It's an age thing. Leftist millennials and gen z call themselves woke when they finally discover systemic oppression structural violence and hierarchies of privilege are real things. Completely distinct from Christian nutfuckery

Thanks for the clarification.

That’s some good shit you’re smokin’...

This is the only context in which I've heard the term "woke" used.

@creative51 I think you need to check with @demifeministgal since she’s the one who’s pontificating up there...

@Robingray Umm not my fault you don't understand the young hip lingo. Bye boomer!

@JonnaBononna And yet the seniors and boomers here don't get that! Think I'm lying about what my demographic says! Silly old fools! Haha

slug.com is not for me, bunch of yahoos

@creative51 Have you ever been on that site? They have a Qanon group.

@OldMetalHead Stroh 160 from Austria. It puts Bacardi 151 to shame.

@creative51 it's like 151. You mix it obviously.

@creative51 I have done shots of Everclear, so I guess I'm insane I've used it as you would vermouth in gin martini to spike the alcohol. The Stroh is spiced it can be drank on the rocks fairly easily with fruit. I've been a bartender for 40 years.

And let's not even talk about how grammatically incorrect and annoying the term "woke" is.

It's slang.

[bustle.com]

@LovinLarge So is "baby daddy", also annoying. I think I got up on the wrong side of the bed today. lol

@itsmedammit I hope you will always feel free to speak your mind here so we can kick things around and get the benefit of each others' insights.

I also think this is a very important thread and I thank you for it.

@itsmedammit

Im not sure there could br many things more pointless than worrying about peoples grammar on social media.

@SCal You may have missed the point. I wasn't talking about a one instance typo or something.

@itsmedammit

I see that. I did not miss the point. Your complaints are futile.

This is all beyond me. I've never seen the contention he describes, nor do I want to! It seems to me that ''woke'' refers to any arcane concept people want to describe. There are far too many labels tossed around. I'm reminded of "Alice"s" Red Queen....who proudly says, "Words mean exactly what I intend them to mean."

A lot of what he writes on the other site seems as though he is just seeing this discord here at Agnostic through the eyes of the conservative groups here. I noticed that his writing was mostly blaming the left for attacking the conservatives on the site, and why he started the slug site. Not really any comment about how the right side would be rude, name call, and blocking people from even checking their group out. When I first joined, I decided to go over to see what the conservative group on this site was all about and I was already blocked. How's that for being open minded and inclusive?? I suppose the snowflake conservatives just don't like to be challenged on their ideology because it is so empty of reason.

@Redheadedgammy Wait--you were already blocked? Guess they weren't much interested in inclusion, were they? My opinion is that YOU are always reasonable, good-humored and unlikely to hurl names, invectives, etc. So--if they pre-blocked YOU--I can only imagine how many more of us have been made ''undesirable."

That is one scary ass website.

But no, while "woke" has a variety of definitions, generally it pertains to awareness of social justice issues, especially racism. The author appears to be opposed to it, which makes sense given his politics.

@creative51 The definition I gave derives from the internet search of "woke" that I did five minutes ago.

@TheMiddleWay Is it you who's keeping him informed of these threads that might not serve his interests?

@TheMiddleWay It's not paranoia when one makes representations on behalf of someone else.

@TheMiddleWay Greater awareness is good. Using the term "woke", as I have generally seen it used, to imply that one is somehow superior because of his/her state of being "woke" is annoying at best.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:524568
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.