Agnostic.com

11 5

I must admit that I'm rubbish at spotting trolls. Some give me the impression that there are many here.

According to one dictionary, troll is "a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post".

What is your definition of troll? How do you measure trolling? What do they do exactly to offend/upset you so much that you have to block/ban them?

Jetty 7 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Asshole provoking anger and resentment , not just opposing view

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 16, 2020

@bobwjr By your definition you yourself are a troll .According to the comments you write, your favorite word is Asshole and a plethora of filthy and derogatory language that you use repeatedly .You call people this when you do not agree with someone .This then provokes anger .So you would actually then be classified as a hypocritical troll.

@bebe12 NO, ,he is an ASSHOLE that happen to be a hypocritical troll .LOL

@bebe12 I dig your style girl .I reviewed this trolls comments and you are definitely on point .Whats this thing with a shit load of lame comments with only a few words .Is this a troll thing?

@HarrySlick

A troll is a mythical creature in Scandinavian folklore, who is often used to represent the forces of nature. Often associated with giants, they are usually represented as dirty, untidy, comically ugly and very hairy, judging by the photos there are quite a few on here.

I've seen the term used here, as well as other social media sites, far too loosely than what I feel is applicable. I've called one here a troll, never blocked or banned, but do avoid them like Ebola. It takes far more than expressing a difference of opinion or being passionate about your stance on an issue to truly be a troll. The way I see it, a troll has the primary objective of deliberately antagonizing or inciting an inflamed response and is explicitly consistent with that intent across the board with their interactions. You can be passionate and even perhaps aggressive about a stance on an issue, but otherwise engage in a more productive manner on other issues, and that does not make you a troll. If your only and exclusive method of engagement is inflammatory and abusive or you get obvious joy from posting things such as pro trump stuff to the trump pinata group or blatant false conspiracy theories to an academic forum, and those are the only ways you engage on a site, you might be a troll.

Trolls spot you. They’re one-dimensional, rarely adding to ‘human’ thoughts, but sticking to ‘their agenda,’ whatever that is.. They’re not here to date 😉

My favorite way to deal with them is: when you see one’s ‘replied’ to your post … there’s a satisfying little ‘X button’ in the upper right corner that removes them from your sight.

For them: at the bottom left side of a page, there’s a counter that shows ‘who’s last looked.’ When they fail to see ‘you’ - they’re left writhing 🙂

Varn Level 8 Aug 16, 2020

Pretty sure this is a Troll.

Yes...and they live under bridges in Norway...although that one seems to have escaped and is living incognito in Washington D.C.

I think the word is bandied about too much. Anyone who seems to have contrary views can have this label applied whether it is justified or not. There is rather more jumping to conclusions and labelling on the site than I expected from a group who think of themselves as critical thinkers.

@Jetty No..I have never really had many problems in any of my groups, certainly no trolls that I can think of. I’ve only ever had to block one person, just a week or so ago I had to block someone from the Freethinkers group, but it wasn’t for trolling it was because when I told him to stop posting fake news and conspiracy theories he became personally abusive towards me. That isn’t a bad record...one blocking in two years, and I now find myself in charge of 7 or 8 groups...mostly by default rather than choice btw.

Lot of the liberal idiots on this website consider us Trump supporters to be trolls.

What one individual may interpret as a an offensive provocative post or comment another individual may think the opposite ,so this is subjective .The people on this site have a habit of calling members trolls when they strongly disagree with them .This term is often misused ,especially on this site and is used as a form of intimidation and an insult. .I have never used this term , nor do I ever intend to.

they live under bridges and harass goats.

In Norway!

Yuk yuk yuk...

So I think a troll can be someone who flames. I think if someone always wants to argue or change the subject to what they want to talk about. I think when someone is overly persistent on multiple occasions that's trolling.

@Jetty if they won't STFU and they are one issue, make everything about that issue and this is an ongoing thing, they're a troll.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525118
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.