Agnostic.com

18 7

Movies from years ago

Just rewatched a movie that I first watched in high school. I t brought me to tears when I saw it way back then, but watching it yesterday I was embarrassed at how corny and foolish it seemed. The movie was "EASY RIDER" anyone else have this happen?

michaelj 7 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reading comments brought me back to another one that for whatever reason suits me just fine.... Blade Runner. I can watch it over and over. Of course I got the new one too, started like meh but keeps getting better now

more people watched the original blade runner on pay per view in anticipation of blade runner II. at least that is what I heard.

I have both DVDs...big fan, cannot explain

"It's a wonderful life" with Donna Reed and James Stewart. It's a great story and more meaningful for me because years ago I was watching it on satellite and trying to talk my daughters into it but to no avail. Eventually I won the battle and they got so into the story that we watch it every December. It has become a family tradition. Very nice, it keeps growing on us every year.

I rewatched Young Frankenstein and found it boring and unfunny 😟

Sci-Fi movies don't hold up well due to improving technology. When I first watched Terminator 2 back in 1991, I thought it had the best special effects ever. Now it looks kind of cheesy.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 8, 2018

I am shocked sometime at how lame and corny shows and movies from my youth were. I don't often watch old movies, but sometimes.

I keep going back to The Wizard of Oz every couple of years...still freaked out by the flying monkeys.

Most everything doesn’t stand the test of time.

You mean those feelings you get whilst watching these types of films, and don’t know whether to laugh, cry or cringe? I’m certain it happens to all of us. Speaking of throw backs, here’s an absolute classic that never gets old…because it’s never ending LOL.

Recently saw Scarface for the first time in years and felt like it didn't hold up very well.

Yes, I watched "Ghost" not too long ago and was laughing at it!

@5082gregory I was laughing at the little black creatures when a person died, was bad but still like the movie.

Recently, old Disney animated movies showed up in the Netflix queue, so I watched them for the first time in decades.
I was shocked by the misogyny and racism, promotion of playing victim.

Caddyshack, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Porky's

All the time. All movies are done for a Specific Audience. Once you are removed, your watching experience changes. That's the Movie Experience. They are frozen in a time spat... you are not, we hope. Some classic movies may be timeless, no matter how many times you watch them, despite the years, the experience do not change. Real timeless classics are like that. Example a Casablanca or Sunset Boulevard... their stories do not change perspective when you mature.

No movies....but when I watch TV shows from then, I wonder how I found these shows to ne funny. In particular, "Cheers" and "Frasier". Even "Fawlty Towers" left me a little cold (but I remain a big Monty Python fan)

I just finished rewatching all Frazier in netflix. I sm truthful of 3 shows Frasier, Friends and Seinfeld. The dynamic bstween the characters will be timeless to me... some reminded me my post high school days, other my venture into the adult world other the slow pace of maturity. Was never cheers fan, I had never hang out in a bar.

I think Easy Rider was a classic & still holds meaning on how people stereo type and label people. It was corny in parts but back then, they did a dam good job for no technology and special fx.

Terror at 20.000 Feet Scared the bejeebus out of me when I first saw it and found it corny now

I saw that one. I should watch it again!!

@farmboy2017 you will find it comical and marvel at what a great actor Shatner is for not busting out laffing at the creature at a point

Kentucky Fried Movie, I loved it as a teen. now it seems a little hokey.

JK666 Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

Saw it in college. It's a little hokey but it was cutting edge humor at the time.

Also "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask (1972)" - would probably still make me laugh.

Gene Wilder and the sheep in a garter belt.

Not for movies, personally, but I think most people have something they look back on and are embarrassed about their taste. For me - New Kids on the Block!

Gag! A boy band. I get in trouble when I suggest the Beetles we're a boy band?

@farmboy2017 Becuase they weren't. The most influential band in the history of modern popular music was not a boy band. Boy bands did not play instruments or write. You can dislike the Beatles. People are moved by different kinds of music. Never underestimate their influence on every part of the music industry. 🙂

@Sticks48 I never suggested they had no influence. They played to a popular formula and a popular audience. That formula and audience was established by Elvis. I can't stand Elvis but his innovation exceeded The Beetles in my opinion. But... I did respect The Monkeys! Great parody and satire. And I'm kidding about the Monkeys. I prefer the influence of Hendrix and Sabbath. And I'll be quiet, now?

@farmboy2017 Also The Monkees were the Milli Vanilli of their time. They rarely got to sing their own songs. (I still like them).

@farmboy2017 As a musician l can say without hesitation Elvis had very little influence on the music or the industry the Beatles did. They changed the way people wrote music, recorded music, put albums together, and the size and production of concerts. Elvis didn't influence any of those things, but he was Elvis. 🙂

@Bierbasstard You are correct! Also there are some where they don't sing. I want to say because the producers were way more concerned with the show getting produced? I just Wiki'd that. lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52537
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.