Agnostic.com

28 18

"How do you feel about a friendship that could lead to more?" a man asked today.

He lives in Illinois and I live in Washington State. He messaged me on Agnostic.com.

My reply:

All of my boyfriends have been a friend (we enjoy each other's company), hiking partner and lover. We live too far apart to develop a relationship. I'm a passionate hiker. Illinois is too darn flat. I know because I grew up in Michigan. Good luck with your search. Kathleen

I attached these hiking photos to show the difference between our lifestyles and where we live.

With online relationships, we miss out on sensory information like body language, touch and smell. Nothing is real until you meet.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He must have messaged a lot of us as I got the exact same message. My reply was "Depends on how fast you expect the "more" to happen."

I don't expect to be the only person being messaged, but the exact same message? That's tacky.

What if the "more" turns out he just wants someone to do his laundry and fix his meals and sex doesn't even apply?

yes, it seems he has sent the same message to many women , I though he's doing some survey or poll .. I was in a sarcastic mood, I just asked him what more is ?

@Sgt_Spanky Doesn't matter as I live almost 200 miles from him.

We must have hurt his feelings. Oh well.

@kiramea

His username was: @honfox4. Same guy?

@LiterateHiker Yep.

when I decide to go out to hike on the mountain, which is very infrequently, I look for very flat mountains.

For me, long distance is fine and acceptable for on line friendship, pen pal, chat buddy but that is about it. Of course, there are always exceptions to every rule.

@OldMetalHead It certainly can and does happen.

Totally agree. If I am talking to someone on line - I meet asap. Thats how I met my new boyfriend Bob. We met for coffee and hit it off spending the whole day together visiting state parks and Lake Saratoga. Sometimes you just click. I am so in like right now-its only been a month but we are spending weekends together getting to know each other in an open and honest relationship. Touch is so important. We are both very tactile. I get long distance pms here as well. I knew I had to meet someone locally and 20 minutes apart is just right for now. I don't know where this is going - we just like spending time as friends as well. We have many common interests and our birthdays are 6 days apart.

Kind of makes me think of The Sound of Music seeing you in that picture.

Absolutely. Nothing is real until you actually meet in person. I will talk to a person for possibly a week, no more than 2 weeks before I insist that we meet. Because you don't have a clue how you will feel about that person until you sit face to face with each other and talk. One gathering, one meeting is all it takes to know if it's worth meeting for a second time or continuing to talk.

each meeting tells you if another is worthwhile. after a number of good meetings a not-so-good one can be considered an anomaly

JFC!!!
I am so damned glad that I am done.
LOL

I got the same thing. Almost as obvious as "Hello, gorgeous!"

@BufftonBeotch

If you read the replies, the scammer sent the same message to you, @tinkercreek, @itsmedammit, @kiramea and me. And to other women, most likely.

Glad Agnostic.com deleted his profile. Haha!

@LiterateHiker I did read that. I give most messages a day or two to rest before I respond. Especially when they are that generic.

@LiterateHiker Yeah, I got the same message. It was off-putting to me. But I did respond with as little effort as he put into his message.

I had the same from him. I just ignore those sorts, and they go away.

@itsmedannit

His username was @honfox4. Same guy?

@LiterateHiker Does this need to be public? I mean, if a guy is a creep, I get it, but this guy worked up the nerve to (sorta) hit on a woman which is super hard as is. I know most men don't get what it's like getting hit on constantly, but you guys don't know that the other side of the coin is like either.

@LiterateHiker Yes, I just assumed scammer.

@JeffMurray

His profile vanished. Admin realized he was a scammer. Poof!

It would have to be a one in Ten million guy to make you move from your location and life style ,he would have to accept all the changes if you really fell in Love and for him to move to you,,Your pics remind me of the sound of music,so very beautiful

@RoyMillar

You got that right. My daughter, an only child, lives in Washington State. I want to stay near her.

Family First

You nailed it.

That scammer sent me the same message! Check out his profile for grammer & sentence patterns, a few other reliable clues. Busted.

Update: looks like admin took care of them, thanks!!

I know all you ladies are used to having to carry that big stick when you go into town for beating them fellas back if you need to, but I got a feeling this fellow or person was looking for money.

If he was real - this is one of those calls that is purely up to individuals.

I have a non-immediate family member who met someone online, in a non-dating chat room. She lives in NYC, he lived in Australia. Over time they found endless commonalities and bonded. Finally she went there to meet him - he came to NY to see her - one more trip to Australia, and he moved to NY. They've been married 9yrs now.

Seems to depend on how solidly someone is planted where they are, and if someone is willing to make a major change for the potential of love to last.

For me, at the most, I might move within my State - but that's it.

The guy in this case appears to be a scammer. Could b wrong. He may just be ignorant in his approach, but I doubt it. Totally different situation than your relative's.

@itsmedammit Of course it's a different situation. Simply addressing the basic premise of the post, and the possibilities - IF someone is the real deal.

Great photos, as always. Lovely place. I can't blame you for wanting to stay there. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thank you. I love the mountains of Washington State.

How did I never know you’re a Kathleen? (From another Kathleen) ❤️

@Apunzelle

Hi Kathleen! What's your middle name? Mine is Anne.

Half-Irish, I'm a born storyteller. And you?

@LiterateHiker No middle name! No one in my family has one. Odd, no?

Half German, half Irish. ☘️

Good response. North Carolina’s got mountains but a lot older than the Rockies and not as challenging.

@BudFrank

Thanks. I appreciate you.

Having grown up in Chicago, I can confirm, Yes, Illinois is very flat. Except around Galena, which is close to Iowa. Then you get some hilly areas. No mountains anywhere.

Very cool 😎😎

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 19, 2020

Nothing is real until you meet

I think that helps explain why women are so resistant to meeting.

@BitFlipper

You are mistaken.

I refuse to get all twitterpated over a man before meeting. Nothing ruins the fun and good times like loading them up with expectations in advance.

Wisely keeping my expectations in check does not stop me from meeting men. I enjoy meeting new people.

@LiterateHiker I'm not talking about you, Kathleen. I'm talking about the women I encounter who insist on keeping it unreal.

I enjoy meeting women, and for me it's an accomplishment in itself. I'm struck by number of women who like to chat but never want to meet.

Many women, maybe half, say they are looking for a friend, maybe more, or "friends first". Both of those formulations seem so obvious that I wonder what hidden meanings stand behind them. Maybe those women are speaking to themselves as much as to men they haven't met yet.

Probably to suss out the ones that turn out to be assholes or douchebags or abusers. I do it by chatting for awhile online. Others are in more of a rush, so state friendship and meet right away and give themselves that out in case it turns out the guy is a creep is dangerous or there is no spark. Plus, one's romantic partner SHOULD be your friend in addition to partner. Otherwise, wtf are you two doing together? Just having sex and sharing time together? :/

You made a good point, very important for you, so you did a good thing. Of course nothing is real until you meet! On the other hand, I see nothing wrong on his side either. Good for both...

I don't look further than 70 miles

Yep, these days with restricted travel, geography make all the difference in the world. I'd love a friend with possibility of more, but I definitely limit that possibility to the island of Kauai, which has excellent hiking!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:525815
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.