Agnostic.com

15 5

LINK Why losing a dog can be harder than losing a relative or friend

I remember when I lost my Hannah years ago, I was devastated.

ballou 8 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My critters are my fur children, I love them nearly as much as my the kids I gave birth to. Yes, losing a pet was like losing a child. I feel sorry for people who can't love animals.

@jlynn37 Well, when I stopped laughing I'd tell them I feel sorry for their limited and stilted understanding of the world. I'd tell them I am good without god, that the lack of fear of eternal damnation is very liberating, that if they need god to have morals they're just sad people and please get out of my face because I'm way to busy to put up with their BS.

@jlynn37 I find a disconnect between believing in an invisible god and loving a flesh and blood creature who can and does show affection and provide companionship. Your attempt at equating the two is a logical fallacy. If I have offended you it was not intentional. If you think I was harsh then obviously you don't know me. And I would suggest that if you don't like what I have to say you block me so that you are not subjected to my opinions again.

@jlynn37 It looks like you view devotion to pets as competition.

@Qualia You do you and I do me and let's strive to do or cause no harm.

Usually when someone dies, there’s shared grief among relatives and friends. Losing a pet seems like a much more solitary, personal grief.

Essie Level 6 Apr 8, 2018

I think you are onto something with the solitary and personal grief,, that is how I have felt each time, like its something you feel you can't share because other may think you foolish.

Bingo! I certainly agree with that.

I lost my dog five years ago, and I was devastated. I still have a hard time when I think about her. I have a dog that is 12 right now and one that is 11. We rescued the 12 year old when he was a puppy, and I cannot imagine how it is going to be to lose him. It makes me panic to even think about it.

I just lost my 16 year old puppy to cancer in February. I rescued her when she was about 4 months old. It hit me harder than any human death I've dealt with. I still struggle with it constantly. From diagnosis to when I lost her was only a few days. She was the best companion I could have ever asked for.

I am sorry for your loss.

aww, I'm with ya man. Seems even harder we we have rescued them. I have one at my feet at the moment, cataracts, arthritis and cancer, but I am hoping she will be pain free for a few years more. Also rescued at 4 months old.

You were lucky to have had her in your life, I understand your grief.

Because pets are more loving than a lot of people. Unconditional love!

JK666 Level 7 Apr 8, 2018

Because your dog is never a bitch to you

Losing my previous cat was like that, too. ?

I think we have a specific bond with our pets. we love them as much as we can and I think they love love us too.

I've cried every time I've lost a pet, but I haven't over losing every person.

Me too.

I have had many dogs in my life I grieve for each one I have lost maybe that is why I have four now.

The phrase of the day is "normative loop".

five

@SACatWalker

No, get your sleep, c'mon.

I lost my fish Bubbles. I was depressed for a week.

If and when I lose my Sassy I will be devestated. She is a big part of who I am.

My cat never hurt me....more than one human did.

For me, my girl is everything.
I rescued her when she was a year old. It's been 12 1/2 years, and she's rescued me back every single day every since.
I trust her more than any other living being. Her instincts have always proved infallible.
I know it's inevitable, but the day she leaves me will be worse than any other has ever been.
Her Royal Cuteness is the joy of my life.

When a good dog leaves this realm if you are anything worthy of being human they take a piece of you with them.
I'll never get over my 1st doberman. I dread losing the others.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52635
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.