Agnostic.com

5 2

I'm sure you've all run across this before. But I had this posed in a class and was curious what your answers would be. In order from most to least responsible, who is responsible for the death and why. My answers were nowhere near the rest of the classes.

A long time ago, in a country far from this one, there lived a king. The king was known as a great conqueror and he was extremely wealthy. But he was also deeply lonely. In the tradition of the monarchs of this land, he asked the king of a neighboring country if he might marry one his daughters. His neighbor consented, and the king married a beautiful princess.

The king moved his court and the princess to the grandest of his castles, a colossal tangle of masonry, arches, colored glass and spires. The castle sat in the middle of a lake, surrounded by a vast forest. A huge drawbridge connected to the castle to the lake’s shore.

One day the King told the princess that he would be leaving on a long trip around the borders of his kingdom. He did not plan to return to the heartland of the country for six months. The king told the princess that she was not to leave the castle while he was away. The king told the princess that if she disobeyed him, she would be killed.

The princess promised the king that she would not leave the castle. But with the passing time princess became bored and terribly lonely. One day towards the end of her fifth month of confinement, the princess decided that- whatever the risk- she would disobey her husband’s orders and leave the castle.

She crossed the drawbridge and ventured into a forest. She wandered through the forest, smelling the fresh, pine scented air. Unexpectedly, she stumbled into a clearing where a handsome young lumber jack was cutting wood. The lumberjack met the princess’s gaze and they immediately fell in love. They spent a few happy hours together. Gathering her senses, the princess remembered that she had to return to the castle – and that she had to do so quickly. If the king found out that she had been wandering in the forest, he would surely kill her. She bid farewell to the young lumberjack and set off through the forest, walking back towards the lake and the castle.

As drew near the castle, the princess saw a strange figure standing in the middle of the bridge that crossed the lake. As she was about to walk onto the bridge, saw that the figure was a large man draped with a dirty robe. The man threw back the robes hood, pulled an axe from its folds and screamed to her: “Don’t move any closer! I am mad and wild with fury. Approach me and I will kill you!”

Horrified, the princess fled back into the forest, stumbling over tree roots and through bushes until she found the lumberjack’s clearing. She told him about the mad man and his threats and asked for his help. The princess implored the lumberjack to fight the mad man. However, the boy took fright and insisted that he was more of a lover than a fighter. He suggested that the princess should simply wait for the madman to get bored and leave the drawbridge.

The thought of her husband finding out about her escapes in the forest still played on the princess’s mind, and she was desperate to return to the castle as soon as possible. The princess remembered that a fisherman often came to the lake, and that he used a boat to bring in his catch. She ran from the forest to the shore of the lake, found the fisherman and told him about the madman. She asked him to get her to the castle by boat. The fisherman however asked her for money in advance and the princess, being naïve, had left the castle without any coin in her pockets.

The princess then remembered that her former nursemaid was a subject of her husband’s kingdom, and lived in a cottage in the forest, a short walk from the castle. She ran to the nursemaid’s home and explained the whole situation. She begged her nursemaid for money, but also asked her not to tell the king what she had done. The nursemaid explained that she could not help the princess, as she could not bring herself to disobey the king or be disloyal to him.

The princess, desperate and hysterical with worry, ran to the Castle and tried to cross the bridge where she was slain by the madman.

CommonHuman 7 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Society.
For creating an environment that not only allowed but condoned loveless, arranged marriages
For having its citizens be so poor, despite working hard to make a living, that they would put money before the needs of another human being.
For creating such a climate of paranoia and subjugation among the citizenry that independent thought and rational judgment didn't exist.
For allowing the mentally ill to wander freely and terrorize (and possibly kill) anyone who happened to cross their path.
(just havin' a little fun here..... 😉 😉

The Princess was primarily responsible for her own death because she promised not to leave the castle and regardless of whether that was an unreasonable thing for the King to ask of her, she gave him her word. Had she not left and stayed for just one more month, she would not have set in motion the chain of events involving the others in this tale. The madman who committed the act was of course responsible for the killing, but not of sound mind so less responsible than she was for her own death, and of course she chose to try to cross the bridge despite his warnings. The other players I cannot place in particular order except the King who I believe was the least responsible for her death, because if she had kept her promise to him she would still have been alive on his return.

Ok, would a kidnap victim be responsible for keeping her word to a kidnapper?

@CommonHuman This is not a kidnap situation...they’re not comparable. She was not trying to escape, she intended to come back, she was just bored and wanted out for the day.

@Marionville I was saying she should have been trying to escape. If you were forced to move to an unknown land and marry someone you didn't know, wouldn't you try for escape?

@CommonHuman This is not about me or the present day. This is a long time ago in a faraway country and she was married to the king because it was the custom for kings to marry princesses from neighbouring countries. All customary and the normal stuff of fairy tales which is what the story is....she was effectively his property, but not a hostage. If she really was trying to escape she would have kept going and not dallied with the lumberjack. It is all a fairy tale and cannot be imbued with any actual modern day parallels, but I did have fun thinking it through...so thank you for the mental stimulation.

Here's what I got.

1. The princess' father. Seriously, you send your daughter to a far off land to marry someone she doesn't know and you think nothing bad is going to happen?
  2. The king, I can't tell if that was a threat or a promise. Either he intentionally left a killer on the bridge with a wife essentially in prison, or he just neglected to do anything about a man that is clearly dangerous. Either way, not very good kinging or humaning.
  3. The princess. Not for disobeying, because she is a human being and doesn't have to obey her husband, but for not thinking it through better and not properly planning for a jail break and getaway.
  4. The lumberjack for being a tool. That isn't love, that is just infatuation.
  5. The nursemaid. You raise someone, you are de facto family, and to sell out innocent family to the state is just wrong.
  6. The fisherman. He didn't owe her anything, but it would cost him precious little to save a life, so not extending yourself the tiniest bit to save a life seems arrogant and immoral.
  7. The madman. Kind of in his title. I assume madman is a euphemism for some kind of mental illness that doesn't always allow him to control some really destructive impulses. i think a case could be made for him in court.

I agree with your summary.

Madman, for killing her. The Princess, for doing what she was warned not to do. The rest really had little to do with the murder since what they were asked to do had nothing to do with actually solving the dilemma. That is my opinion at this time.

1. Mad man because he actually did The killing
  2. Princess because she asked for it by venturing out
    everyone else but the king is equally responsible because they had nothing to do with the death because there's no guarantee that anything would have saved her from The madman
    The king is least responsible because according to the facts he had nothing to do with it other than the warning
lerlo Level 8 Aug 21, 2020

The implication of the warning is that he knew about the madman and either was responsible for him being there or just ignored he was there.

@CommonHuman I deal in facts not implications. if that implication was true there is no reason for the person to be a madman. The king just would have hired someone to stand on the bridge and kill his wife if she left the castle. The fact that the person is a madman means they had nothing to do with the King. Especially since the madman says "if you approach me I will kill you" that isn't the guarantee that the King made. So your implication would therefore be wrong.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:526464
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.