Agnostic.com

28 0

Is Buddhism a religion?

I’ve seen people claim “no, it’s just a philosophy.” I think it’s clearly not theistic, but there are sects that definitely believe in “spooky” forms of karma or reincarnation.

• 20 votes
  • 16 votes
  • 7 votes
DominicShaull 5 Apr 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think a better way to describe it is a system of culture and thinking. It's very different from religions. So this is a no.

Buddhism is primarily a philosophy, but a lot of religious practices and dogma's have grown up aroudn the philosophy, and so it is kind of both, but only because nobody has diferentiated out labels to keep them separte... as they probably shoudl be separted.

This line of thinking makes me wonder if it might also be beneficial to separate out the philosophy from other religions also. I mean liek in putting all the supernatural stuff aside to see what is left and there it really seems to be anything (truths) there without all the supernatural stuff cluttering thign sup and confusing it all.

How will I know since I am an Atheist? In other words... not an expert in religion.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:52680
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.