Agnostic.com

7 7

LINK Sociopathic traits linked to non-compliance with mask guidelines and other COVID-19 containment measures

These findings aren't all that surprising, and are in line with research done in the US as well.

Amzungu 8 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Which characteristics of sociopaths are also characteristics of:

1. salespeople,
  2. hedge fund managers,
  3. surgeons,
  4. military leaders, or
  5. political leaders?

One such characteristic is the ability to set one’s emotions aside.

Do a search on Robert Hare, a Canadian academic who for a quarter century studied what is now named anti-social personalty disorder.

I think even without this study it would have been a natural conclusion to come to, that those who don’t give a rat’s arse whether they contract or pass COVID to others are displaying arrogance, and a cavalier disregard for their own health and lack of empathy with the concerns of others. Risk taking, disregard for rules and lack of empathy are all indicators of a sociopathic personality.

Agreed, and precisely why I wasn't surprised.

The amount of people I see that aren't complying is unbelievable.

Unity Level 7 Aug 23, 2020

Without actually reading the article, but reacting to the title, I would agree with that. The rise of the "Me" movement in the 1980's, the society in general moved to a more self-centered modis operandi (not to be confused with Me Too).

It has only increased in its virulence since the 1980's. Thus witness the rise of the modern Libertarian movement, the Tea Party, the Freedom Caucus, venture capitalists, white Evangelicals, all culminating in Donald Trump. He and his ilk are the epitome of what self-centered psychopathy looks like.

Most recently, this trend has been witnessed in the idoits who refuse to don masks in order to protect their community. They are the end result (with any luck Natural Selection will step in) of the disease exemplified by trump.

Well said.

@Amzungu

TY

Quick and concise.. well said Nick

I was going to say, they tend to be very poor at assessing risks. One of the reasons attempts to use them as commandos or in bomb squads fail. No surprise.

What traits are linked, I wonder, to semi-compliance? You know the ones I mean, with their noses poking out the tops of their masks...

Are they sociopaths too, or just stupid? Can one be both?

Excellent question. There is a link to the actual study in the article. I didn't read its entirety, but believe that category is still very much full on non compliant.

it's becoming harder and harder to expect much else from that crowd.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527006
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.