Agnostic.com

6 12

Try this night walk: A listening adventure

Growing up on a lake in Michigan, I laid in bed with screened open windows, transported by throbbing night sounds. Birds, crickets, frogs, cicadas, owls hooting, muskrats splashing into the water. Listening to nature's orchestra was spellbinding, relaxing and sensual.

And the benefits are many.

Learn to do a listening walk

"A sense of ecological literacy is as important to our existence as a species as -based literacy," said Mark Bailey, a professor in the college of education at Pacific University, near Portland, Oregon.

To head out on a listening walk, Hempton said to keep a few parameters in mind.

1. Look for places with as little human-made noise as possible, places you've already been, he said. "You will be that much more surprised by what you now notice for the first time," he said.

2. Try to avoid using a flashlight, he said, as it can distract , but keep one handy to navigate any treacherous terrain.

3. Then let your (or inner ) lead the way to see where the night sounds take you.

4. Find a place to sit in stillness at some point during the walk, Bailey advised. "If there's a glen, a cluster of trees, find a place to stop and lay on your back or sit quietly and absolutely still and listen," he said.

Then, let your ears do the work.

"If you don't develop that sense of literacy and attachment and connection to the Earth early on, it's really, really difficult later on," Bailey said. "It's 'What can I get out of the Earth, (and) how the Earth can serve my purpose?' instead of 'How can I connect with this place?"

[cnn.com]

p.s. I learned to sail in this 10-foot sailboat, one of three. As a teeb,sailed it by myself. Loved the quiet, the wind and water.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What a great idea, especially in a familiar area where you know the terrain pretty well and won’t be distracted too much by finding your way.

On a fen-day oar-powered float trip through the Grand Canyon I enjoyed noiseless and moonlit scenic nights. The sound one evening of panpipes echoing fron the canyon’s walls was also wonderful.

Love that

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 23, 2020

I live in very rural area and daily sit on my porch to listen and watch nature and the wildness around me. I'm also a camper and do the same while camping. There is nothing more enchanting than hearing a Barred Owl in the middle of the night outside your camper.

When Annette and I moved out to where I'm now living people were surprised at how quiet it was. Many comments of "I can't hear anything" Of course they were all used to hearing the city/town sounds and the silence spooked them. Of course in the silence there is much to hear.

Very good advice ,i was brought up in a country setting ,with virtual minimal car noise at night,and before going to bed or in bed withthe window open,one could listen to all the night sounds,frogs ,crikets etc ,beautiful music to fall asleep to,city kids like you say do not get these sounds and can not connect with them or nature ,Thanks for reintroducing this point

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527172
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.