Agnostic.com

2 0

Automated trucking, a technical milestone that could disrupt hundreds of thousands of jobs, hits the road

Companies are already testing driverless trucks on America's roads. The technology will bring untold profits, but it may cost thousands of truckers their livelihoods.

[cbsnews.com]

FearlessFly 9 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Carriage and buggy makers lost all their jobs when cars replaced them. Technology and innovation changes what jobs are needed and what jobs are outdated. Think of the jobs created by those who design, build and maintain the hardware that enables these trucks to drive themselves as well as the jobs created by those who design, update, and maintain the software that controls these vehicles.

Also, by removing human error and sleep-deprived human drivers from the road it can cut down on accidents, saving lives and money.

I'd love to live long enough where I'd see all vehicles on the road completely automated though I think that will be many decades from now.

I'm not against the hw/sw/safety improvements/benefits, but I doubt that the number of jobs created will be anywhere close to the jobs lost.

@FearlessFly Impossible to really say what the net job increase/decrease might be. But there are 15 million shipping trucks just in the U.S. and the jobs this new technology will create will hopefully be better paying jobs.

People used to dig ditches by hand and now we have technology that enables a few people to do what once took many. That's just the nature of technology and nothing will change that. This has been going on for more than a hundred years yet we still have enough jobs for everyone.

@Charles1971 "Think of the jobs created" . . . positive 'spin'

(from the linked article)
"Trucking is among the most common jobs for american's without a college education."

Those "better paying jobs" won't be available to the vast majority of the less educated truck drivers. πŸ˜›

Unnecessary pessimism there. Things change. Does everything worsen?

Untold profits? New kinds of higher-paid maintenance work.

Driverless trucks won’t load or unload themselves.

A net decrease in jobs? Skilled jobs? Unskilled jobs?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.