Agnostic.com

23 33

It is often interesting how ancient terms, beliefs, and practices linger on into modern times but have lost their original meanings. For example, saying "bless you" to people who sneeze stems from several beliefs, including the thought that a sneeze expels evil spirits from the body, letting them loose to "infect" other people.

When I was a child, my dad sometimes commented about August being the "dog days." When I asked him why, he said he didn't really know. He added that people used the phrase when he was a child and they said it was because the weather was so hot, dogs didn't even want to move.

As an adult, of course, I researched the phrase and found it refers to the appearance of Sirius, the dog star, in the night sky. My dad didn't know this, his parents didn't know this, and I wonder how far back we would have to go before finding an ancestor who did know this?

Still, the phrase continues to be used and right now, we are experiencing dog days.

And it is hot.

Gwendolyn2018 9 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My dogs are in here on the bed chilling in the AC. They simply can't take this siriusly.

You just had to do it didn't you. 😆

@oldFloyd Somebody had to.

@oldFloyd, @Gwendolyn2018 I just canid help myself.

All languages have expressions like that which are funny. In French, when someone sneezes, the first time people would say: "A tes souhaites!!!", which means "to your wishes!!!", if they sneeze a second time, it's said: "A tes amours!!!", which means "to your loves". I wonder how many expressions like these started.

@Gwendolyn2018 That's the story I was told.

Yeah, I hate the dog days of August. Just let me stay inside til this passes.

@Gwendolyn2018 I love the heat for the wrong reason. It makes young comely women wear tight crotch length shorts (Daisy Dukes). If it's humid and hot, I can clearly observe if they're aroused and wearing a bra.

Just another comment from the dirty old men union.

Here’s another example. We live in a very right-handed world. Why is that? In ocular terminology, the left eye is written as OS. Os is Latin for “eye.” So Os Sinister refers to the left eye, because, in Roman days, left-handedness was seen as the mark of evil. In many ancient Mid East societies, where meals were taken communally, a thief had his right hand cut off, because it was not allowed to put one’s left hand into the communal food bowl, because that was the hand used to wipe oneself after defecating. It was common practice, even as late as the 1950’s, that if a child used a crayon with their left hand, mothers put the crayon into the child’s right hand. Most left-handers write with their wrists severely flexed above what they were writing...there were no left handed desks in school, so left-handers could only find wrist support by writing in that cramped fashion. Don’t want any left-handed desks...it only encourages them.

Now at the present time with COVID 19 sneezing means run as fast as you can.

Half of all deaths from Iowa virus have died in nursing homes most patients there are unable to run

@Larry68Feminist , sorry if you felt offended about my comments but I was thinking about me and another reason for no using the phrase God bless you when someone is sneezing near me.

@Cecilia2018 I actually laughed and I too would run away from believers for many reasons however influenza of all types are killing elderly and people like cigarette smokers asthmatics and people going through cancer treatments and organ transplants

I borrowed a line from Seinfeld. When someone sneezes, I say, "You are SO good looking!"

It goes back at least to the time of Homer....
[nationalgeographic.com]

I've used that expression all my life and had no idea of the origin, thank you. The real origin is so much more poetic than the one I presumed.

And, yeah, it's hot. I tend to avoid outdoor activities until evenings during the dog days of August and sometimes September.

@Gwendolyn2018 I knew you were one of those people, it is on my list of things to read.

"That's my cup of tea!" An old British expression.

"Be still my heart." A once poetic exclamation from the Romantic period, it can be used when your hearts skips a beat.

@Gwendolyn2018

Me, too, especially about a man who rings my chimes.

I grew up in Pennsylvania around a lot of Pennsylvania Dutch, and we got the expression "my cup of tea" from them. I still use it a lot, as in "That's not my cup of tea."

Another that's stuck with me is a "tea towel", which is what we called a dish or hand towel.

I tend to go for "gesundheit" rather than "bless you" being, you know, a godless heathen.

Gesundheit IS god bless you in German.

@SeaRay215ex someone might translate it that way as that's what someone might say in english in the same circumstance, however the literal translation is "good heath"
[merriam-webster.com]

@Gwendolyn2018 I must confess I not only say "Thank You" but "Please" too.

Gwendolyn2018

It's too bad that people say "thank you" without thinking.
We need to be more appreciative of each other.

Like the Ring around the roses song, it's about plague and the certainty of death.
Ashes, Ashes, we all fall down.
Words so disturbing the grateful dead used them.

I learned it as a child but words change in it...where you say ashes ashes, we said atishoo atishoo we all fall down...

Funny... I find the Grateful Dead disturbing.... Never cared for them for some reason.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. It's dog days for most of the year.

@Gwendolyn2018 This leads me to often claim I don't care about the humidity, five million degrees is HOT.

@Gwendolyn2018
It gets humid during the monsoon season. So we have high temp and humid.

I usually respond to a sneeze with "You are sooooo GOOD LOOKING ! " -- the Seinfeld response. 😮 🙂

Like "Indian Summer," except that one is still a mystery. It originated in North America in the late 18th century and had something to do with Indians, but the exact original meaning/origin is unknown. Language is fun. 🙂

I had read that it was the first 70+ degree temps after the first freeze.

In Russian, it is called peasant woman summer.

I still say bless just as a courtesy lol

When I sneeze I usually say "Aww SHIT" while sneezing so I rarely get any one to bless me any more...lol

As far as a response to someone another person sneezing I do not have a go-to phrase, it also depends on how they sneeze also. The people who do the little baby sneezes I might say something about where is the sick cat or something. I had a friend who sneezed real hard and I made a comment about that amount of pressure I would worry about it coming out of the other end at the same time...

Why say anything at all? There's no response when someone coughs, burps, clears their throat, etc... so why did sneezing require its own response? Also, saying "God bless ytou" to an atheist is just going to start an argument.

For this reason, everyone who knows me have long since gotten used to responding when I sneeze with "Hope you don't die."

It is my understanding that people said bless you because they thought when you sneeze, your spirit was being expelled, maybe because of the spray somehow resembling a ghost or spirit. Thus, they would say "god bless you" because they thought your spirit had exited your body and you needed to be blessed by god to restore you spirit or soul or salvation. Makes sense if you were living in a thatched hut during the 14th century.

Patch Adams named his teaching Hospital "gezhundheit" a rip snorter of a funny place to heal or die

I always heard it to be the other way round, people said Bless You or God Bless You when you sneeze because it was believed that demons might use the opportunity of your momentary incapacitation to slip in and possess you. Blessing a person after they sneezed was meant to give a divine protection against demonic possession.
Abracadabra is a word we often associate with Magic Tricks and Magicians but the root of the word is Abraxas which is a Cabalistic god who is the balance of good and evil, of amorality.
I find that the English language is the most cannibalistic of languages because it steals and morphs words from other cultures and languages without apology and make them its' own. Words like Kamikaze or Wundabar or Gesundheit are often recognized by Anglophones as being English words when they most certainly do not have their roots in the English language, let alone the American language - whatever that is. lol

@Gwendolyn2018 > The "American language" is American English.

It's a dialect of English. If one speaks English with an American dialect, people who speak English from different countries will understand them 99% of the time. Likewise in England the dialect within the country varies considerably.

"American English" is not an entirely different language like Chinese.

English within America is it's most popular language, not an official language. I've lived in communities where one is more likely to hear German dialects or Spanish dialects than English. Once I worked in Texas where the OTHER newspaper was printed in Czecho-Slovakia.

One of my Hispanic friend grew up household where he thought they were all speaking Spanish. He thought his parents talking Spanish and therefore taking Spanish in high school, would be an easy A. Turned out the local high school taught Spanish as spoken in SPAIN. His parents were speaking largely Mayan, which SOUNDS like Spanish.

Lordy, I digress once I get on a roll.

My family always said “gesundheit!” when someone sneezed. A Pennsylvania Dutch thing. Means “health!”

@Gwendolyn2018 it actually almost sounds like a sneeze! Guess-une-tight pretty much covers it.

So I didn't look it up but as its origin native American by chance?

I always heard that saying "bless you" to a person who sneezed meant they were momentarily in between life and death. How would that work and be applied if they were swimming under water? Maybe too long of a period of time. IDK.
As for "dog days" my aunt always said we could not go swimming in creeks or rivers coz it was August and therefore something about dog days. I suspect this did not stop dogs from swimming at all. I'm not sure dogs are superstitious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:527884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.