Agnostic.com

10 5

Got a call from, Apple Support," yesterday saying that their cloud storage had been hacked, and that I should avoid doing financial transatuons. It was a recording that gave a number I could call to talk with support.

I have never owned an apple of any kind. Something rotten?

EdEarl 8 Aug 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Scammers trying to get your credit card and/or banking info!

This is a well known scam...been doing the rounds, it and other similar ones, for years. It’s all to gain access to your computer. Hanging up is the only action needed.

Yep, hang up.

I've gotten these and they will used spoofed numbers to make you think it's a local call. Just hang up. Annoying as hell, though.

They are annoying, and keep coming back, no matter how many times I hang up. I've even registered with the National Do Not Call list.

Hang up!

I did!

I get regular ones about my Amazon account. I know they are fake, because I have never had an Amazon account.

Had a few of those, too.

Am I mistaken on believing that all transactions are stored in the Cloud! Even from our computers?

You are not mistaken. These clouds are black with lightening and raining silver only on the rich.

Was there an Indian accent..?

Varn Level 8 Aug 27, 2020

No, more synthetic.

SOmething really rotten, do not call, do not talk to them.

Agree.

Phishing calls are made daily my fake Apple Support asking people to purchase thousands of dollars in Apple gift cards to pay for a fire wall and safeguard their phones. Please hand up and report calls and numbers to apply. They are all scamm calls.

I don't answer calls not in my contacts, except local numbers, but that isn't filtering out all the scams.

@EdEarl local-looking numbers are now a thing, infact every single scammer or boiler-room call I have gotten on both cell & home phone in the last few months has "looked" local

@AnneWimsey Most are recorded messages and I block them on my cell. Hmm!

If I had a call center setup, I could call them all day long with no message, and tie up their phone lines. I wonder what that would cost?

Could even have a web site for ppl to supply numbers...maybe not. Some would put exes on my list to call, and that would make me as bad as them.

This is almost certainly a scam. Because you have no Apple account, you're not at any risk regardless — but anyone calling back to follow up with "Apple" about securing their account could be putting themselves at risk. Here's an article from a few years ago about this sort of phishing scam: [inc.com]

“The scam is a simple one. The potential victim receives an automated message that claims to be from Apple's support, telling them there is an issue with their iCloud account or that it has been breached. They're then put through to a human to "help" them. … [They are] then asked for "personal information," which could potentially give the scammer access to the victim's account, allowing them to make purchases or do whatever else they want. … Or … these scammers sometimes direct the victim to install "antivirus software" -- in reality, malware -- onto their computers, and charge them for the privilege.”

Thank you for the excellent advice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528287
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.