Agnostic.com

8 4

The Pressure Cooker that is Agnostic.com

A long, long time ago, I can still remember... Okay, you’re gonna have to forgive and get through my writing style if it irks you. You might want to read my profile page… ladies… to get a sense of who I am, how I write, what I write about, etc.

Alrighty, so a while back, a year and some change, I wrote a fun little post about the magic of quantum mechanics. I am not an expert, nor did I pretend to be. I was, like most people, enthralled by the basically misinformed notion that there is a mysticism to quantum theory. I later found out there wasn’t, thanks to my boy Deepak Chopra and his outlandish comments on the “Quantum Field.” My girlfriend made me read his bullshit and it, uh, activated my absolute zero skepticism mode. Basically, when I talked about it, the thing made sense, but when it came out of someone else’s mouth I was like, “Fuckyou, what do you know?” And so I was more apt to question it. We all think our baby is beautiful.

So, I posted this thing about finding hairs in my soup and being the only one at the dinner table time and time again. Therefore, it felt like I was activating quantum entanglement with my brain. It’s not like I would bet my money on that horse, but I was hoping for a more… playful response from the community. What ended up happening was that people reminded me that I was an idiot. I was kind of mad at first, not because I wanted to be right or have everyone agree with me, but because, I don’t know, I guess people would figure out that I knew nothing and play along with their own spooky stories or sci-fi concepts. Response after response was, “Nope, you don’t get it.” After the fifth one, y’all didn’t need to keep going.

But, I then realized that this was an opportunity, like so many self-help books talk about. Instead of continuing to pout or get mad at the community, I recognized that these are some of the most smartest, most skeptical people I know. This forum/community is a skewed sample of the public, filled with people that can tell me what’s what whether I asked or not. Y’all are not always gonna be right. Y’all are not always gonna be wrong. But if I ever need a group of people to rip my ideas a new asshole, it’s you guys. I love you.
Ahem, short of having an actual peer-review process like in the smarty pants journals, you guys are basically my best bet. If, of course, you will have me. Which, I’m sure if I hadn’t asked, some of y’all would have done it, but now won’t do it because “Fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me.” I know the feeling. I tried introducing the concept in another thread a few hours ago… boy, that didn’t go well. I’ll try to do this as well, you know, as a courtesy.

Let her rip on this one, for ol’ time sake, you heathenous bastards.

FuckReligion 6 Aug 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Speaking of peer review by skeptics, has anyone else noticed this? What are your thoughts?

My biases tell me to respond like this: It sounds like right-wing Christian propaganda.

But I won't do that.. no, siree, bob.

In actuality, I kind of agree because I'm an anarchist-ish. So... fuck. I have a catch 22 conflict of interest. By agreeing, I give the Republicans an inch. By disagreeing, I go against my fundamental view of the world. Well, there you have it: I must disagree in order to elevate my thought. Bu only disagree in argument and thought etc., not in principle.
Therefore, heretofore, sugamadigk... ahem... I will try to steelman this idea anyway I can see fit.

@FuckReligion To be clear I'm not saying we should be worshipping Jesus instead of the government, I'm saying we should stop worshipping both.

@Janus819 Yeah, I was strictly only considering the "text."

@FuckReligion Honestly I'm more than just anarchist ish at this point lol

@Janus819 Skynet and alien overlords, or nah?

@FuckReligion lol nah I'm not into that kinda conspiracy theory. I just also reject competing conspiracy theories like "yes it's hard to define representative government in a way that doesn't fit the definition of conspiracy, but they're doing things for your own good behind those closed doors! They hide it from you just so you don't realize how much good they're doing!" LMAO

😆 for " my boy, Deepak Chopra" .
Also 👍 for the RATM reference.
I have no idea what this post is about...🤔
But...cool?

Basically... I'm expressing how I feel about this website and what I've come to learn about this community.
I want to use this site and the people within it as a peer-review process.
And that I recommend everyone use it as a way to elevate understanding in an objective sense as possible. Which people already do. They don't need me to tell them that. However, some aren't... aware.
So, if I come at you with a counter-argument, it's mostly because I want to know what to say if someone else would come at me like that.

Funny satire

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 27, 2020

You funnyman 😊

Sounds like you’ve got us down to a T! Great to have you with us.

Great post. Personal growth always hurts a bit, but well done. I think though that you would probably have grown though without our help, since you come over as a growing sort.
Although there are some clever people here, we are I think a good mixture, it is just some people love the debate.

I think it's good to float ideas past other people long before we turn them into beliefs, and don't allow any concept to become sacred dogma. I don't have a lot of immutable beliefs, though I do have some guiding principles about how I live my life (in terms of what I think is ethical) — but that's largely a matter of personal opinion, and I accept that others will disagree with how I live my life because they've found a better way for themselves. In terms of reality, I guess my core belief is that reality exists and that it's accessible and comprehensible to us in some way; that's my leap of faith. Beyond that, it's a matter of observation and reason to figure out what's most likely, to have good justification for what I think is true (e.g., reproducible, consistency) and being okay with admitting when I simply don't know the answer. I see people who have developed elaborate frameworks for what they think is going on in the world, with too many holes in logic and data that they've filled in with their own baseless ideas, and convincing them they might be wrong is impossible because they've become so heavily invested on an emotional level in the contents of their hypothesis. To use your analogy, it's their baby and they insist everyone else agree that it's beautiful — and get defensive, or go on the attack, when others point out that it's missing important parts or that it's otherwise nonfunctional. So, bring on your ideas and let the community tear them to shreds. Even if you don't discard your ideas, and there's nothing saying your ideas will necessarily be wrong, at the very least you'll have the opportunity to fully articulate your ideas and refine concepts in a way that enhances your own understanding.

Bravaa, just, bravaa!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:528291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.